Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-14-2004, 11:39 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The only two cents I will add is that two weeks is a very short cycle time indeed. That said, you can after a few days put a couple of danios in and wait for things to settle.
You could also do the fishless cycling route, but it's awfully boring watching ammonia. Jeff

In theory there should be no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Cafe Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
when schooling fish are kept in 2's it seems they always pick on each other. my tetras do it, as you can see i only have 2. i had 4 white clouds during cycling, and they always schooled together, and were very freindly to one another. they were kindda slow and hung out a lot, moving a little bit here and there. but they are jumpers too. i found the best way to jump-safe your tank is to put small netting over the exposed ares, like where the filter and heater cut-outs are. its better than finding a white cloud stiff the next morning from surfing the carpet ocean.

thetmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10g as well. My zebra danios are very active and chase each other around, but they don't bully each other. You might want to consider them. Good luck with eveything.
10g - 3 Feeders, 1 Bolivian Ram, 1 Bluegill?
40 Breeder - Eastern Painted
50g Rubbermaid - Mississippi Map
I work at an LFS..
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
You are so right about the white clouds, thetmaxx!! Initially I started with two white clouds, just to find out that one disappeared overnight. I tried to find it everywhere, but didn't have a clue where it went, only after 2 weeks later I found its body on the carpet turned into a jerky. I remember them jumping every now and then, and he must've made a real good one when he got out. Now I covered the openings with clear wrap (such as sarans) so that the other won't be able to jump out.

I never knew that neon would constantly pick on each other when they are kept in two. But I really want to have a school of white cloud, so I'll probably wait until those two neons run their course... I mean, everything that's alive has to go some day, right?
dud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
By the way, Carassius spp. are indeed delicious, thetmaxx... You just have to know which variety to choose, how to cook them, and more importantly, how to eat them.
dud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
ill be posting pics as soon as im done setting it up and cycling ....
Eclipse 6 Gallon : Has a bio-wheel thats why i got it lol ...

1 Gold fish ( Fatty )
1 Black Moore ( Negro)
1 Plec
4 Ghost Shrimp

10 Gallon Regent Tank
Penguin 125 Bio-wheel
All-Glass Full Hood with light timer.
10-15 Whisper Heater
Carib Sea Marine Sand White ( Looks Very Nice )
7 Live plants
4 Neon Tetras
1 Fancy Guppy
2 plecs
1 Upsidedown Catfish
2 Corydoras
6 Ghost Shrimp
dertyharry420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
i had seran wrap back there actually to start with, but my filter on day managed to start pumping water on top of the seran wrap, so i cut a hole in the bottom so it would go back to the tank, and not my carpet... then i saw some netting from some rocks i bought and had a brain storm. now i have netting, it hasn't been tested (by the fish) but i have a feeling it will work.

you know the funny story about my white cloud jumping is that i was about to go to sleep when i heard somehting flip in the water. i thought it was probably just a bubble from all of my bubble toys... but i thought, that was kind of a big one. then it occured to me, if something did jump it only has a 1"x4" hole to make it out of, the odds are slim, especially with the lights off! so i went to bed.

the next moring i couldn't get a proper head count, then i thought, oh no!!! so i looked around, sure enough. the little guy was stiff if i would have looked when it happened i coulda saved his life. i still feel kindda bad. but that was a year ago, and i must move on....

thetmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote

10 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com