Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-11-2004, 11:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Just Bought A new 10 gallon...have a few questions..!

I've been reading up on cycling and i was wondering how i measure all the nitrate and everything or what i need to buy..and so tips on cycling cause i have a brand new 10 gallon regent glass tank and i bought a penguin mini bio-filter and so far i added Start Right to the tank and Quick Cure.Thanks...and also i bought an All Glass Full hood with light and you know how it says it has rear cut outs ...will they be big enough for my pengium hob filter..?

dertyharry420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 11:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welcome! Your lfs should have test kits you can buy to test your water at home for all the basics, and most fish stores will test your water for you as well. From what I understand fishless cycling is the best, let the tank run for a week or two with no fish to let natural bacteria build, and then buy a couple of starter fish (i.e. not expensive) to put in for a few days or a week to make sure your tankwater is ready. The filter you have is not big so the cutout in your lid should be just fine. Oh, and research your fish if you haven't already, because some require certain water conditions, temperature, and tankmates, and you don't want to end up with dead fish because of ignorance. Hope this helps!

poppab02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
thanks i just want to know what kind of kit to buy online ....and what do you think i should get for my new 10 gallon..? im prolly gonna get tropical but all my friends say red belly pacu but im pretty sure i want tropical....and if anyone has a setup with a hang on the back filter with a full hood cause i wanna see how it would fit.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd get an AP Master Test Kit- it has everything you'll need.

DON'T get the pacu- they can grow to well over two feet in length and would probably outgrow your ten gallon in a month or so. You're on the right track with the smaller, tropical community fish.

Is your hood plastic or glass? If it's glass, there will an opening across the back side that'll provide more than enough space for your filter. If it's plastic, there'll be perforated sections on the back side of the hood: you just "pop out" enough of those to provide room for your filter.
Current species:
Neolamprologus multifasciatus
Lamprologus stappersi
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
[center:bd25be56cb] Welcome to AA, dertyharry420 [/center:bd25be56cb]
To learn about cycling, read these posts:

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Welcome to AA, dertyharry420!

If you do a search here on "10 gal" or the like you will probably come up with many threads discussing how to stock this size tank, which is easy to overstock.

Stay away from the cute little pacus and oscars, but go to the LFS and post back with what kinds of fish catch your eye, and we can let you know if they are appropriate for this tank. There are many that are, and many that aren't, lol!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, dertyharry420. Good luck with your tank -- I just started my 10G tank six weeks ago, so I know what you're going through.

You picked the right board, btw. We seem to be in good hands with these helpful veterans.

Eager to see pics when you've established your tank!
My Little Atlantis
No knowledge, no experience, no clue -- just a geek's desire to see whether he can keep from killing too many fish.
fishieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
thanks alot for the support...and yeah this is buy the looks of it The best forum yet !
Eclipse 6 Gallon : Has a bio-wheel thats why i got it lol ...

1 Gold fish ( Fatty )
1 Black Moore ( Negro)
1 Plec
4 Ghost Shrimp

10 Gallon Regent Tank
Penguin 125 Bio-wheel
All-Glass Full Hood with light timer.
10-15 Whisper Heater
Carib Sea Marine Sand White ( Looks Very Nice )
7 Live plants
4 Neon Tetras
1 Fancy Guppy
2 plecs
1 Upsidedown Catfish
2 Corydoras
6 Ghost Shrimp
Old 09-13-2004, 11:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
any advise i have for some one buying a 10 gal is don't, go with a 29gal. 10 just cant hold many fish. but your in it now, look at some tetras. find some different species... i really love the tetras i got. the columbian is especially colorful!! stay away from puffers. they are cute, but cant live in 10 gallons. also look into ottocinclus' for your algae problems. and corydoras to clean excess food... barbs, white clouds, or danios are good too get the tank cycling, and you might find you like them!! hth... btw your filter will fit just fine with room to spare...
thetmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
What else can I suggest? White clouds and otocinclus! Not so much colorful at the first sight, but indeed they are beautiful after you watch them enough. Oh, not sure about the otocinclus though. I just don't have them *YET*.

But I think it also matters on what personality you want to give to the tank. I read Tom's post in another thread, saying that he messed up his tank because of the busy tetras he got. He liked his tank being a quiet and relaxing one, but probably the tetras he got were a little too busy for that concept. So maybe you want to get something that match your preference, not just by the appearances but also by their behaviour.

I've been keeping a white cloud for cycling, and although it can swim extremely fast, usually it will make very small jerky moves so it doesn't make the tank look too busy. But maybe that's because he's alone, so I'm not sure how they'd behave in a school. I also keep 2 neons, and in my opinion they are way too greedy, picky on each other, and hyperactive for me. But again, I only have 2, so I'm not sure when they are in a school.

Anyway, as another 10 gal owner, welcome to the club!

dud is offline   Reply With Quote

10 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com