Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-11-2015, 05:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Unhappy Just bought a Sunsun HW-304B

Hi. I am fairly new to canister filters. I have had a measly ZooMed 30gal canister, but I upgraded my tank and have thus upgraded my filter. I now have a 55 gal.

My problem is this:

I have the whole body filled with water and media is in its place. The output tube stays full of water, but even priming cannot keep the input tube full, because it pushes it out of the output. When the filter is turned on it will push out whatever water is in the input tube, but then it won't suck anything into it.

I can't even feel any suction when I put my fingers up to it. We have checked the impeller and below the cover the orange thing(?) seems to be spinning (the piece above it does not is it supposed to?). The seals on all the hoses are fairly far up and tight. We have primed it and primed it and nothing seems to be working.

turtlelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
Increase your water level in the aquarium. Water is lowered once you filled up the canister? Also sometimes that surface skimmer will need to be below water when doing the initial priming.

Reefer James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got it to work! The skimmer had the plug on it, and I took it off and put the water just above the level of the skimmer. Perfect! I couldn't be more happy.
turtlelady is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com