Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2009, 02:01 AM   #11
Fish R friends, not food!

I have two extras running on my 84 gallon for the qt or new tank already, so I dont need that. Also not sure if I will have room on the back of the 115 for both HOB's since this is only a 5' long tank and the spray bar for the xp3 will tank up about half that wont it?

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have the spray bar in my 120 on the side blowing to the other end of the tank.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
I have two extras running on my 84 gallon for the qt or new tank already, so I dont need that. Also not sure if I will have room on the back of the 115 for both HOB's since this is only a 5' long tank and the spray bar for the xp3 will tank up about half that wont it?
I have an xp3 for my 55 gallon. The tank is only 4 feet long and the spray bar doesnt even reach half-way across the back of the tank. What kind of HOB's are you using? Ive got a Hagen Aquaclear 50 on the back of the tank as well and still have room for the spare Aquaclear 20 if I wanted. Unless your using a Penguin 350 or an Emperor 400 I really doubt you will have a lack of space for all the filters.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #14

I am running 2 biowheel filters (I believe they are 330 or 350). I am at work right now, so I will have to check when I get home. They have 2 biowheels that are about 4" long and the intake in the middle with 2 of the blue carbon filled changable elements. So, Gamer, you are saying that you have the output mounted vertically and have it pushing water accross the back of the tank instead of across the top of the water?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I thought you were going with the Eheim, Ohhhhh the pain!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #16

Sorry Inferno, got a good deal on the XP3 and couldnt pass it up. We'll see what happens when I get the canister for the 84G. I have to say though, if the GPH are accurate on the eheim and the Rena, the Rena has much higher flow rate for the same size rated tank. Who knows how accurate the GPH numbers are though?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Sorry Inferno, got a good deal on the XP3 and couldnt pass it up. We'll see what happens when I get the canister for the 84G. I have to say though, if the GPH are accurate on the eheim and the Rena, the Rena has much higher flow rate for the same size rated tank. Who knows how accurate the GPH numbers are though?
Good luck with it, let me know how it works, I'm curious. Remember filtration isn't about gallons per hour but about how much water actually flows through the media. I had that same dilemma when I bought my 2215 15 or 16 yrs ago, the gph was lower then everyone else but filtered better, Back then I tried several canisters returned them all and bought the 2215.
Anywho I've read some good things about the XP3 you'll probably love it.

Signing off "EHEIM FAN FOR LIFE"
Old 08-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Spoonman
I saw the Filstar for the first time today and IMO it seems to be a bit on the delicate side. Treat it with care.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not at all "delicate" man. I have a few that have been moved multiple times and in service doing great for years now.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Not at all "delicate" man. I have a few that have been moved multiple times and in service doing great for years now.
Did not mean to offend anyone man, It's my own observation and compared to the Eheim (Which I compare all canisters too) It is not built as well. I did not call it a piece of junk or the like and like I said in my previous post I've read good reviews on that canister, I am by no means bashing it. If you really want to get an understanding of where I'm coming from compare the Eheim to the Filstar at the store, the fit, finish and all supplied equipment with the Eheim is top notch/ a cut above the rest and yes they make you pay for it too.

Tags
filstar, media, rena, xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com