Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Fish R friends, not food!

Just bought Rena Filstar XP3 - How do you stack your media?

I just got a great deal on a Rena Filstar XP3 from PetSmart, $139.99 with discount online. I am going to use it on my 115G cichlid tank. I am just curious how others that have the same filter stack the media in it. Also I assume that I should keep running the HOB filters until the bacteria gets built up in the canister? Thanks for any advise.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

We just run biomedia in the top compartment, fine sponges in the middle, and course in the lower. Yes, leave your HOBs running (or move all the biomedia from them into the XP). Great pickup, I think you'll be happy with it. I love the XPs! We're running 4 and have never had an issue.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #3

Thanks HN1, was looking at the Eheims but couldnt pass up this deal!
Old 08-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I have an XP3 and an XP2 (on 2 different tanks). I put the coarse and fine filter pads in the bottom, bio balls in the middle (nothing on top of them), and filter floss and sponges in the top (FF is on top of sponges). XP2 has filter pads, sponges and filter floss and no bioballs (I think).

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I have 2 XP3's and an XP2 myself. I have mine set with the coarsest sponge at the bottom, and the medium sponge in the middle, then I have ceramic rings and lava rock in the top basket.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

really depends on what you are running. i sent mine up in a planted tank with the 4 sponges that come in it with floss in the others. many others run it sponge bio media floss carbon or double sponges. just have to figure out what you need in your tank and do whats best for that.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #7

I am putting it in my cichlid tank this weekend. I currently have 2 biowheel hob's running on it right now. I also have a bunch more rock to put in the tank at the same time that I am hooking up the filter. Since the HOB's take up space on the back of the tank, I was going to drain alot of the water, take off the HOB's, move the tank closer to the wall, move the media from the HOB's to the XP3 (thinking here is that the bacteria will move from the media to the ceramic rings that I am putting in the canister), put in the extra rock and refill the tank with dechlored water. All that is in the tank is PFS, rocks, fake plants and 19 cichlids. Will this be sufficient to start the bacteria in the canister? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would let both run a couple weeks. then pull one hob off then the other. in that tank i would prob do the sponges and 2 layers of bio media. though it would be a good thing to keep one of the hobs as a back up on the tank if not both. i really wouldnt run the xp3 on a 115 tank alone. they over rate the filters.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #9

Thanks gamer. Considered leaving them on and just keeping floss in them for water polishing. Sound like an idea?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

at least one of them. i would keep another one with sponges and bio media to be moved over to a QT or if you are setting up a new tank. having a extra cycled filter is priceless.

Tags
filstar, media, rena, xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com