Just got a Fluval FX4...what now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMaggs215

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 36 bow front with 10 African Cichlids. I want to start improving my tank for the fish and went to the fish store today. They told me I should get a better filter (I have the one that came with my tank) because I can't seem to get my Nitrates low. I have nitrates in the water that comes from the tap, I tested it. So I am starting with the new filter and then plan on changing the gravel to sand (another recommendation). Is there anything I can add to the tank to try to help with the Nitrates? I do at least 1 water change a week (about 1/3-1/2 of the water).

Should I just take the old filter off after I set this new one up? I wasn't sure how to move forward (the people in the store forgot to tell me this).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this hobby, I have had this tank, with these fish in it, for about 5 months. The fish all seem ok and seem to be growing kind of quickly.....we even have a bully already.

OOooops....I forgot, I was also wondering if I should do a water change before I change the filter, or add the new filter? Today is my weekend water change day.....

Last edited:
What is your nitrate readings out of the tap? End of the week out of your tank?

Seed the new filter with the old.....run both filters for a week

You could do your water change and add the new filter.

I'll be honest, I think you are more than likely going to have problems with Africans in that small of a tank. It's good to overstock them but if they don't have room, at least 4 feet of tank, they seem to kill each other off as they become adults. I knew a guy who tried keeping 10 Africans in a 40 gallon breeder and I think he ended up with 2 left after the first year. Not to say this will happen to you but it seems like any tank under 4 feet is a problem with them.

We figured we will have to get a larger tank soon. I saw a 125 gallon tank and stand on sale today($559) that I was thinking about, that is why I wanted to get a larger filter now, so I could kind of do it a little at a time. Now, I have another problem with this filter, it doesn't fit under my stand......is it ok to have it sit next to it?

Back
Top Bottom