Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

just got a new fluval 204 help with media

I just got a new Fluval 204 for my 29 gallon tank was wanting some suggestions on what kinds of media you guys like to use. I currently have bio rings in the top section and nothing in the middle or bottom two. Was thinking of adding bio ring to the second compartment, but wasnt sure if that would be over kill. Is there something i could add to the middle or bottom for water polishing?

Thx in advance.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

use the bio rings in the bottom compartment. you can use filter floss in the top compartment for polishing. the water enters from the bottom up, so you want the heavy duty filtration at the bottom and the floss at the top. be sure to rinse the floss out often, cuz it can get very gunked up depending on your bioload. the more gunky it gets, it can cut down on your flow. you could use bio rings in both bottom compartments--more surface area for you beneficial bacterial.

i personally use crushed coral in one of mine, but that's cuz i need to raise my kh for injected co2.

hth

Old 01-17-2006, 02:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can also buy the sponge that Fluval makes to go in there. I have 2x 304's
In one I have rings in the bottom, Lava rock in the middle, and a sponge on top. The other has rings in the bottom, half rings and half sponge in the middle, and sponge on top.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
You can add more biorings, as well as lava rock media. All works good, and don't need replacing. And floss is also good in the upper basket as was mentioned above, works good to polish the water. I have the XP3 and use 2 floss pads in my upper basket. Works great.

I use 4 sponges in the lower basket, rings and lava rock in the middle basket, and in the upper basket, the lower half has bio stars, and the upper half has 2 floss pads.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

are those sponges that you put in the baskets in addition to the sponges that get inserted on the side of the baskets?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

On the XP3, there's no sponges on the sides of the baskets. But you can have more in the baskets if you want, as well as other media.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

The fluval has one big sponge on the side takes up half the canister, so I think I'm good there. The instructions that came with the filter says you should always keep the bio rings in the top because you want the water to be as clean as possible when it get to them to prevent all the pores from clogging with crud. It also says to never put floss in the top to help prevent any strands from getting into the impeller.
Which is the opposite of what you guys are saying. So I'm thourghly confused now.
Btw what is the lava rock for is like a bio media to?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've been running floss in the top basket of my Fluval 304 since I got it (several years, don't remember exactly when). I AM considering putting the bio media on top instead, though. Makes sense to have the cleanest water going through that section...

My experience with the Fluval sponges is that they allow a HUGE amount of material to bypass them. I seem to catch more solids in my floss than I do in the sponges.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the floss in the top as well, as the sponges do a pretty good job of removing most of the crud anyways. All that's left are the smaller particles that the floss will remove before going back to the tank.

Yes, the lava granules are another type of media like the ceramic rings and cylinders. But with the lava granules, you need to rinse off well before adding, as they can be very dusty. But they work great, and you never have to replace them. As for the ceramic rings, if you get a few rings that look clogged, you can either rinse them out or replace the clogged rings. It won't hurt the cycle, as if you replace, you'll just be replacing 2 or 3 rings out of a whole basket full. Personally, I would just use a tooth pick and poke through and then rinse the crud out so it's not clogged any more. But as long as I've been using them, still have no clogged rings, going on 10 months in my Emperor 280.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrzap
Right now I have the charcoal packs it came with in the bottom and bio rings in the upper two baskets. I am going to replace the charcoal with more biorings.

I hope I don't make a mess when I disconnect things to replace the media

Tags
fluval, media, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com