Just got given a pretty large fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So literally about ten minites ago a friend stopped by with a pretty big fish tank 20-30gallons. It looks larger than 20 but its tall so I dont know. Some weird filter, a hood setup I've yet to figure out and some sort of odd device with electrodes and coils in it. Anybody know what this might be?

It also came with this cute, but itty bitty, fish bowl. A little horrified they might've kept fish in it but maybe thats why they got the larger tank? I can hope lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me like he gave you everything you need to get started. The coil looking thing sounds like a heater plug it up see of it warms. That's a really nice starter tank. What kind of filter?

Seems to me like he gave you everything you need to get started. The coil looking thing sounds like a heater plug it up see of it warms. That's a really nice starter tank. What kind of filter?

Its a tetra whisper 10-30 and looking I do belive that thing is a heater. I've never seen one like that before.

That filter was the grossest thing I've ever seen. I took three hours taking it apart and clearing the gunk out of it. It was filled with half decomposed fish poop and aquarium gravel.....ewww. but its super clean now :) i rinsed and bagged two gallons of gravel.
I've yet to even touch the tank though.

How do you get those water stains off? I've cleaned the hood and when it dried they just re appeared.

Also its missing lights but convinently part of the hood is glass and I can just set some reptile lights on top :)

I heard a 10% bleach solution works well too. I think I'm gonna give that a try on the hood and if it works maybe the tank. I used some green scubber pads, not from any lfs but just dish cleaning ones aand they didnt do much good.

I was told when thinking about a second hand tank that vinegar would get water stains off without the danger of bleach

I'd use vinegar instead of bleach. It does an excellent job at removing those hard water stains. Either way though, make sure to rinse it really well when you're finished.

But bleach will kill any diseases that might be trasnfered through the new tank. And with two sick goldfish I cant really afford much more. Plus I plan to use this as a quarentine tank or to grow plants

They got special ones at the lfs, if your going to use bleech on the tank just make sure you hit it real good with some de chlorization

White vinegar or bleach work equally well IME. Just be sure to rinse and rinse. Congrats on the new set up! :)

if the coiled thing is a heater- just a warning, don't heat it up unless it's submerged. You can damage them otherwise. ;)

Back
Top Bottom