Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

So is this floss just fibery filter material you put in between the various filter media.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah. go online, its called filter floss. Chances are your LFS has some corner filters running in some of the tanks, and I bet they have the white (at least when its new) floss in it. It is somewhat cottony, kinda like the stuff they put in the top of the tylenol bottles? It isn't cotton, its some other material, but when you see a fluffy bag stuffed with it you will instantly recognize what it is.

I cram it into the aquaclear below the biomedia, and in the fluval I cram it into a media basket below the biomedia. Its just another layer of mechanical filtration, although like anything in the tank, it gets colonized. Way back when, before the ceramic porous biomedia, filter floss and carbon was your biomedia too. But with biomedia elswhere, it is disposable fine mechanical filtration.

It is sold in sheets that you can form cut to any shape you want, or in big fluff bags that you just pull off what you want and cram in.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:56 AM   #13
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Quote:
Originally Posted by richiestang_78
I replace carbon monthly, what about those Bio Max filter, how ofthen do I need to replace those ceramic things?

Whats filter floss anyways?
No need for carbon, except for removing meds or clearing tannins. Using the bio-max on top and 2 sponges under it, works very well. The sponges and bio-max can just be rinsed and put back in.

Much cheaper than replacing filter cartridges every couple weeks or month.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:12 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

doesnt teh carbon help remove contaminents in the water though?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:23 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Only for a short while (like a few days) then its used up...as mentioned you don't need it...
My filter comes with the pouches that have it packaged inside the cartridge so I use it...but thats the only reason.

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:56 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, carbon is only sticky for a few weeks, then it just becomes granules with surface area for the bacteria to live on. Carbon actually is a relatively good substrate for the bacteria to live on, but its adsorption capacity is rather temporary. Thus, many skip the carbon and just add porous, high surface area substrate for the bacteria. My tanks are cyrstal clear, never had any carbon in them.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright when the carbons up Ill switch to another sponge, should I get the same type of sponge or is there one type of sponge better then another?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:33 AM   #18
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Same.

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com