Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just got my AquaClear

Just recieved my Aquaclear in the mail today, set it up and have it running on my smaller tank before putting it in my big one. A few things bug my, dont get me wrong the extra filtration is a big step up from my whisper but the quality doesnt seem that great. I mean the whisper has a nice valve, better and deeper tubing with snap connectors, and and seem alittle more well constructed. I guess its stilll better then not listening to trickling water from the BioWheels though, other then that Im happy with it.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

is this a canister? I heard great things on fluval and rena filster xp3

6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

No its the AC 50 HOB, dont really need all the features of a canister for my 30.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

When my Pengin filters die, I plan on replacing them with Aquaclears for the added media flexibility.

Regarding the quality, I've noticed that every year the build quality of most things decreases slightly. The plastic or metal is a wee bit thinner, and fasteners are replaced by spot welds. I guess it just means that a product bought today won't take the bumps and jolts that the same product bought 10 years ago did. *Sigh*
Old 04-26-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, as far as the ACs go, I would get a Emperor when you replace your penguin as they have lots of flexibility. My AC5 only has 30 spots for media, sponge, carbon, bio max thats all.

Hey how often should I replace the media anyway? I only had a sponge and carbon in my old Whisper.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you dont replace the media in AC filters, except if you're using Carbon... which needs to be replaced weekly I believe to maintain effectiveness.

The sponges should just be rinsed/shuished in the old tank water when doing a water change to retain the bacteria populations on them. A lot of ppl including myself just use 2 sponges in the AC media spot, sometimes with filter floss or carbon inbetween them.

I love AC filters - but you need to watch out for 1 thing - be VERY careful to not drop them onto the motor housing. The tabs on the filter housing that the motor locks into are fairly thin and if they break, you cannot reliably reseat the motor to create a water-tight fitting. I broke a small AC filter and was able to keep it "together" by wrapping the thing in electrical tape to hold the motor on
Old 04-26-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTOFFER
When my Pengin filters die, I plan on replacing them with Aquaclears for the added media flexibility.
What do you mean? Penguins have the biowheels plus a slot for extra media. What more is there?
Just curious.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I replace carbon monthly, what about those Bio Max filter, how ofthen do I need to replace those ceramic things?

Whats filter floss anyways?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't replace the Biomax. The instructions will tell you to but they're just trying to make a buck LOL. You can rinse it in tankwater the same way you rinse your sponge. I don't even use carbon in mine. I stack 2 sponges on top of each other instead.

The thing I don't like about the Marineland cartridges is that the carbon is inside the filter pad, so you can't go without unless you make some modifications. They are expensive too. The AC is much cheaper to use in the long run.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

For small filters, the aquaclears are simple in design and let you have choice with regards to what media you put above the sponge. Not many small filters like that. I despise the ones with proprietary cartridges. I think that is why the aquaclear is so popular.

I have some floss above the sponge, then porous biomedia above that. The sponge gets rinsed periodically, and the floss gets replaced. the porouse biomedia stays clean and unclogged and is never replaced.

Tags
aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com