Just got my RODI unit from ebay!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL I use it to water the flowers in back. lol You think the waste water would be ok for my cichlids? I havent tested it yet...

Yeah, a lot of african breeders, who coincidentally breed discus, use the ro/di for discus and the waste for africans. Some mix it 50/50 with regular tap, some don't. My LFS has sw livestock, and in some of their reef tanks, they use RO/DI, so they use the waste in their african tanks.

Mine runs pretty slow. I think I have low water pressure. I might get one and a half or two gallons per hour.

On the waste water subject... is the waste RO water? As in purified drinking water? If so, I could save our family a ton of money on bottled water. :-D

I think the waste is fine for drinking. Might want to double check that though. All I do know is that it isn't the purified stuff, but I think it's still safe to drink.

(I highly suggest to wait for more opinions) =/

Hillage said:
I think the waste is fine for drinking. Might want to double check that though. All I do know is that it isn't the purified stuff, but I think it's still safe to drink.

(I highly suggest to wait for more opinions) =/

I would not advise drinking the waste ro water.I am not an expert but would think it would contain to high amounts of the chemicals that were removed to purify the water to start with.Be like drinking 100 grain booze.

Any updates? Everyone happy? I’m thinking about ordering one...

Mine is working well, using it right now actually :) Even have it set up in our bath tub in case of any leak mishaps :)

Ok, I'm thinking of getting one now. What other stuff would I need besides the ro/di though? How many containers and for what purposes? More hoses to run to containers? Pumps? Yes, I'd like to be able to drink the water, I have no plants or garden, (I have underground sprinkler system for grass so am not going to lug water to dump). I won't be using it to drink water, just for my tank but when I do use it, I don't want to waste. It won't be run til needed for tank maintenance. Also I have a spare bathroom that I would probably be hooking it up to, or my kitchen sink. Garden hose is not option because that is outside and water line would freeze. (Lived in a trailer and had got frozen pipes, was out under trailer for hours with a hair dryer). Not gonna go that route. Machine and all equip stays in house. As I said I plan on removing toilet to free up space. It is a small bath, just toilet and sink and window. Perfect I think for salt water making equipment. Just need to know what else I need. I'd like to also figure a way to pump to my tank which is in living room, but first need to get what I need to make water first. Oh and I have 48lb pail of Instant Ocean sea salt (that ok to use?). I filled tank already and still have plenty left.

Last edited:
You can get this particular unit with a faucet adpater. You can take it out when you need water and put it away in a closet when not in use. :)

I have alot of tanks so i make alot of water. lol I use a 32g garbage can and fill the ro water directly to there, then mix in my salt and I have a powerhead on the garbage can to mix the salt.

I use a small pump and 3/4" tubing I got at lowes to pump it from the garbage can to my tanks.

Hope that helps

What Carey said is good advice, and I have a little to add. =)

As far as tubing and stuff, they provide everything you need to get it into cans or buckets or whatever you wish to store it in. If you want to pump it out, then you need a pump and some tubing.

When you purchase the unit, you can put a note of which type of adapter you want. The default is an under-sink adapter. I asked for a hose adapter, and of course they gave me the sink one. As soon as I tried to put it under my sink, I found out it did not fit... But any parts you need can be found at a local Home Depot.

As far as waste water goes, it's supposed to be really good for plants and stuff. If you don't want it, you can always aim the waste water hose at a drain. Whatever works best for you. I just wouldn't drink it.

You can get this particular unit with a faucet adpater. You can take it out when you need water and put it away in a closet when not in use. :)

I have alot of tanks so i make alot of water. lol I use a 32g garbage can and fill the ro water directly to there, then mix in my salt and I have a powerhead on the garbage can to mix the salt.

I use a small pump and 3/4" tubing I got at lowes to pump it from the garbage can to my tanks.

Hope that helps

Yes thanks, What kind can? Any certain kind work better, also I read you need to heat it also, so wouldn't a heater in a plastic can melt the can?

I don't use a heater cause I'm in Florida but no, if you get a submersible heater just drop it in the can. :)

I got a rubbermaid brute i believe, you dont want a flimsy trash can or it will bow and maybe burst .

Back
Top Bottom