Just hooked up my ro/di....help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denwhite16

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a couple questions...

How much water should I produce through the system before I start using the water in my tank?

Is it normal for the first bit of water to be really dirty looking?

Will the filters work better after this break in period? I tested the first bit of water that was coming out clear and it was still showing .5ppm phosphate...Is that tolerable or should it be producing 0ppm?

Thanks to all.

P.S. This is the unit that I got.
Zero 0 ppm Reef 6st Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Water Filters - eBay (item 110614330211 end time May-19-11 16:04:32 PDT)

Ok cool, I thought that was probably the case but wanted other opinions. Do all ro/di's produce a lot more waste water than pure water?

As far As I know. I get like a 2 to 1 ratio of bad to good water. It takes me about an hour to get 5g of good water. I only have a 100gpd unit i think tho. You got a real nice buy on yours.

I think my is a little more than 2 to 1. Maybe it will change...as long as it produces clean water I don't care too much.

The higher the pressure behind the unit the better the ratio so if you only have 45lbs of pressure going in you will make more waste than someone with 60lbs of pressure going in (basically it is more efficient with higher pressure).

It's pretty common for folks to get a 4:1 ratio, so don't be surprised. Highly dependant upon pressure and temperature of the source water.

Back
Top Bottom