just learned what a sump was, are they good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetmaxx

Aquarium Advice Activist
i heard a sump allows you to have more water in the same space, which i totally understand, because ive seen them, just never understood the theory beind them. so since my tank is small and limited, how could this help me? mainly im looking at a cleaner water, with higher volume so the chemicals will be more stable...?

I'm not sure, but I would say that your ten gallon would benefit more from a powerfilter rather than a sump...if fact I think that some sumps hold about ten gallons of water and some are even made out of ten gallon tanks. I would just go out and buy a large powerfilter and replace the carbon about once a month...I hope that helps ya

-Matt

On a FW setup a sump doesn't serve the same purpose as on a SW setup. It adds water volume, which when SG raises quckly helps a lot, but on FW SG isn't a concern.

The other beni to a sump is that they are a way to hide your heaters, filters, pumps etc. In a small 10 gallon tank this could be handy actually. It all depends on what you want to keep though.

For the most part, I'd say if you keep a 10 gal FW tank, don't worry to much about a sump, unless you have a specific reason to.

HTH, Joshua...

Back
Top Bottom