Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2005, 05:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

just ordered 492 Watt Metal Halide Fixture

Well I just order a Odyssea Metal halide Fixture. Heres some specs. 48 Inches, 492 watts, 2x150w double ended HQI 20000k bulbs, 2x96w compact fluorescent actinic blue, 6xLED Moon Lights. Built in cooling fans. 3 power cords. 2 switches, 1 for HQI bulbs 1 for Compact bulbs, 2 external ballasts, Hanging Kit and mounting brackets. 48"L x11.5"W x3.5"H. Total price $299.90 I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about these lighting systems. They are on sale right now at www.aquatraders.com Hopefully they turn out to be nice lights

125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the 2x175watt, 2x96watt CF fixture. For the most part I am very happy with it. It is a very good affordable MH fixture. It does have it's draw-backs...the moons and MH run on the same circut so if you want to run your MH on a timer and have hte moons stay on all of the time you are out of luck. Once the timer turns off the MHs, the moons go off as well. My father-in-law is an electrician and he tried to see if there was a way to re-wire it and there really is not unless you re-wire the fixture seperate from the ballast. On a positive note, he did say that the ballast is wired very well. I called Aquatraders prior to the purchase with some with some question and they were more then helpful. I have not has to follow up with a watteny issue as of yet. I hear this is where they are severaly lacking. Bottom line...for the price it s great unit...if it shows up in good working order.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just bought the 3x175 with 4x65 Actinic and 12 moon lights. All three sets of lights run off of separate cords and switches on the 72" version. If the MH and the moon lights are on the same circuit, how do the moon light run at night? Are they switched separately bot powered the same? Just curious.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

On my 48in version you can run the moons independantly of the MH. On the ballast box there are two swithces, one turns on/off the moons and one turns on/off the MH. The problem is that there is only ONE power cord running from the ballast box to the "wall". If this power cord is plugged into a timer, it will shut off both the moons and the MH when it is programed, as the timer will cut power to the entire ballast box. If it is plugged directily into the wall directly (without a timer), you can turn off the MH via the switch on the ballast and leave the Moons on. Does this make sense?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck. I just bought 4 Odyssea T5 fixtures. Less than a month old and half of them already do not work. Get what you pay for.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

that is not good news. Two months and mine are still going strong. Did you try to contact customer support? I hear this is a big problem.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have done all DIY so far, so if they go out, I can use the parts I have to redo the ballasts and just use the fixture for the light housing. I will post more when I get the light.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=689775

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
brian.. have you double checked the wiring in your T-5's?
I do agree to some extent with the you get what you pay for but for some reason this brand is particularly troublesome in that department (if you said that about another brand I would be listening closely.. )
Old 12-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

After reading all these posts adn those on ReefCentral, I just canceled my order! I will follow up the the CC company to make sure, but this is a real disappointment since I really wanted the full lighting system and this price was incredible. I guess a $500 light is not worth a $300K house and family and etc, etc....

Tags
fixture, halide, metal, metal halide, watt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com