Juwel Trigon 190.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ahmed dada

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

OK so tomorrow I'm receiving a Juwel Trigon 190 that I bought brand new and I'm pretty excited about it! Only problem is I have no clue on how to stock it.

So here goes. Thanks for the help :)

A) is this a very good and reliable tank? How is the quality?
B) is it worth the money?
C) is it hard to keep constant

So onto the stocking. I currently have 5 Glowlights in a BiOrb 8 Gal. They are 3 years old and healthy so they will be (happily) moving to the 50 gal:)

- 5 Glowlights
- 10 neon tetras (or cardinals. Which are hardier?)
- 10 harlequin rasboras
- 2 dwarf gourami
- 2 German blue rams

I LOVE shoaling fish and the 4 big ones are just for display. Am I over/under stocked?

I'm planning on having it densely planted with some swimming space and hiding places. All advice, tips and criticism will be well relieved. Thanks alot!

Really. Nobody?:(. I thought stocking was a fun thing to discuss. Anyone with any tips will be greatly appreciated. :)

I think that's a very doable stocking list. The Rams can be a little sensitive to water quality, but I don't think your heavily stocked so water quality shouldn't be an issue with normal weekly or bi weekly water changes. I don't know much about the tank itself so I am no help there. What kind of filter are you planning on? Planted or not?

I think that's a very doable stocking list. The Rams can be a little sensitive to water quality, but I don't think your heavily stocked so water quality shouldn't be an issue with normal weekly or bi weekly water changes. I don't know much about the tank itself so I am no help there. What kind of filter are you planning on? Planted or not?

Hey thanks for the reply and advice!

I usually do 30% water changes every 10 days. Will this be OK for the Rams?

I'm planning on using the filter that comes with the tank. Apparently it is a good one with a good system. It is a Juwel filter.

I'm planning on planted but extra-low tech because all of my plants die on me except Java Fern. So it will be a mixture of driftwood, fake silk plants and Java Fern and maybe some Anubias.

Next question is sand or gravel? Which is easier to clean? Which looks better?

Thanks for all reply, I don't want this tank to be started off badly like my BiOrb was. I want it to go well for all my future fishie friends and hope they enjoy their lives!

Thanks again!

The rams should be fine with that WC schedule but test your water more frequently at the beginning just to make sure your BB are keeping up and your nitrates aren't getting high. Gravel vs Sand is a matter of preference for you. I prefer sand as it doesn't accumulate as much "gunk" in it as gravel seems to. I also like the look of sand more, but that is just my opinion. If you go with sand, most of the fish waste will settle on top of the sand and you can just vacuum it off during WC time. Also I suggest larger grain sand because I personally hate cloudy water and some of the "sugar" sands are easily stirred up. I used black petco sand for my 125 and my 40b reef and have had 0 cloudiness issues, I didnt even rinse it before I put it in my 125g and I didn't have to use the water clarifier packet that comes with the sand. As for plants, I really have 0 knowledge when it comes to them since I can't keep ANY in my 125g, but any plant is beneficial to water quality.

The rams should be fine with that WC schedule but test your water more frequently at the beginning just to make sure your BB are keeping up and your nitrates aren't getting high. Gravel vs Sand is a matter of preference for you. I prefer sand as it doesn't accumulate as much "gunk" in it as gravel seems to. If you go with sand, most of the fish waste will settle on top of the sand and you can just vacuum it off during WC time. As for plants, I really have 0 knowledge when it comes to them since I can't keep ANY in my 125g, but any plant is beneficial to water quality.

Thanks again for your thoughtful reply! I'll sure be using your tips!

I intend on having the tank running for about 6 months with fish before adding the Rams because I read that they need to be added to a well established tank.

Thanks

That's a good stock, I might add a pair of Bolivian Rams too, and maybe another pair of GBRs.

I think aquaman may be right here, although you prefer schooling fish I think you will learn to love your rams as I hear they develop pretty distinct personalities. You could do another small school (3-7) of small dither fish and a pair of Bolivian rams but I would stock with what you have on your list and then decide if/what else you want in there. I went too fast with my stocking choices and while I love all of my fish, there are some that would not have been purchased if I had taken my time a little bit more.

That's a good stock, I might add a pair of Bolivian Rams too, and maybe another pair of GBRs.

Thanks. I didn't know you could keep more than one pair of rams in one tank! :) that's perfect!

I've never heard of Bolivian Rams but I'll search them now.

It says that Rams need plenty hiding places so is it fine if I buy one of those huge shipwreck ornaments and plant the tank with lots of Java Fern? Will that suffice as caves?

I also would like to add some "cleanup" fish to my stock because my biorb does have algae issues. Any suggestions as to what to add (we dont get shrimp in any lfs in Durban)

A shipwreck ornament will be perfect as a cave, but it's always good to give them a couple options. You will need to add more hiding spaces if you get a second pair of rams. I'm not too experienced with peaceful tanks, maybe a small group of corydoras as a ground cleanup. You could also try a mystery snail of some sort.

A shipwreck ornament will be perfect as a cave, but it's always good to give them a couple options. You will need to add more hiding spaces if you get a second pair of rams. I'm not too experienced with peaceful tanks, maybe a small group of corydoras as a ground cleanup. You could also try a mystery snail of some sort.

Thanks for the reply.

Are corydoras easy? Do they require special foods? A special substrate, maybe? How many of them do I need?

Any other ideas for hiding places? Maybe 2 ship wrecks or another ornament and some driftwood. As I said I I'll try to plant it heavily but plants always die on me :(. I'll try to maybe make a cave with rocks? Can you take rocks from your garden? How would you sterilize them?

Thanks. :)

There are different species of Corydoras, but they are all similar in their requirements. Yes they are easy and take most sinking prepared foods. They are small catfish that poke around the substrate searching for food. Also about the rocks in your garden, rinse them with tap water and pour some vinegar on them, if the vinegar bubbles, they are not good for the tank, if it doesn't bubble, I suggest boiling water poured over them in a bucket and then they should be good to go.

There are different species of Corydoras, but they are all similar in their requirements. Yes they are easy and take most sinking prepared foods. They are small catfish that poke around the substrate searching for food. Also about the rocks in your garden, rinse them with tap water and pour some vinegar on them, if the vinegar bubbles, they are not good for the tank, if it doesn't bubble, I suggest boiling water poured over them in a bucket and then they should be good to go.

Thanks so much for all your tips. They will definitely be used well to make a fishes life better :).

Since they poke around the substrate, wouldn't it be better to get sand as it is not as hard or sharp as gravel can be? Or would gravel still be OK?

Thanks so much for your constant help!

I have not kept corydoras personally, I would think gravel would be OK, but I think sand would be better all around. Plus your rams are bottom to mid dwelling fish as well and I think it's easier to clean and looks nicer/more natural.

Hey! I finally set up the tank but it is not filled with water yet neither does it have any gravel. I just want to finalize the stocking. Would the following be OK?

10 Neons/Cardinals (whichever looks healthier or better in the shop!)
10 Harlequin Rasboras
5 Glowlights (I already have in the 8 Gallon)
1 pair of Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami (1M 1F)
2 pairs of GBR's (2M 2F)

And I'm thinking of maybe adding 2 platys and a trio of guppies (1M 2F) so that they can breed and the other fish can eat the fry for some extra health (cruel, I know but it's natural selection at the end of the day!) All fry that make it through will be taken to my lfs and sold.

There will be one of those shipwreck ornaments (a large one), driftwood and plants. Substrate is black gravel. Plants only Java Fern and Anubias because all others die on me!

Does this sound like a happy tank for my fishie friends? :)

Thanks! :)
PS: Also wishing all Muslims a happy Eid!

Oh! I forgot to mention the Corys in my stocking. How many of those is ideal as a cleanup crew?

Back
Top Bottom