Kessil led light question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all! I finally got my kessil 360aw led light for my 55g. I will get my 2nd light later. My question is this: what purpose do the different light colors serve? I understand if you want to dim the tank, but what purpose does the brighter white light serve compared to the dark blue moonlight? Is this purely aesthetic or does it benefit fish and corals somehow? Not complaining, these lights are gorgeous! Just curious, mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I found this article:
http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/lighting.asp
"Spectrum -The Color of Light

Corals look best and grow best under light with a more blue coloration, in my experience, and that of many successful reef aquarists. So, I advise having more blue spectrum lamps on your reef aquarium.

Light color that a lamp produces is measured in degrees Kelvin, abbreviated K. Kelvin ratings do not relate to light intensity directly, a higher K number does not represent more intensity, in other words a 20,000K lamp is not more intense than a 10,000K lamp. This is something that a lot of folks get confused about, I will get calls all the time from folks that say they just added more intense 20,000K lamps to their tank. Wrong, they added more blue light to their tank with the 20,000K lamp and not more intensity.

Lamps for aquariums will have K ratings listed on them and this relates to the color temperature, the lower the K number the more yellow-red the light will be from that lamp and the higher the number the more blue the color of the light from that lamp. For example, a 6500K lamp will be very yellow in comparison to a 20,000K lamp that is very blue. Actually, intensity tends to decrease as the K rating increases. So, a 6500K lamp will produce more light than a 10,000K lamp and it will produce more light than a 20,000K lamp at the same wattage."

There is a lot more info in the article.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Thank you! I tried to find how much k my Kissel's have but could not find that info.

You can adjust the spectrum on the kessil to whatever you want. Higher kelvin=bluer light

Back
Top Bottom