kids nite light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim692

Aquarium Advice Freak
The tank is in my son's room and I was thinking of adding some leds to the top for a nite light. Will this be a problem for the fish. Also I couldn't find much online. Are you better off making one, or is there a source/mfg. that you can get them from pre-made?

Tank is 46 gal (36" x 14.5" x 20")

Thanks

not a problem at all, white or blue LEDs are very common in a tank, both FW and SW, with no issues.

There's a bunch of places that will prefab for you, like digikits.com, or ebay, or if you're a DIY'er you can get LEDs and resistors and make your own.

Jim,

I installed LED strip lights in my tank... easy to install, they come with a peel off sticky tape that I just applied to the underside of my T5 fixture. It has worked great -- perfect amount of "night light". Got them off of this site:
http://www.plasmaled.com/LED_strip_lights_lighting.htm

Probably about 12-15 LEDs in the 2 ft strip. You just hook the wires into a small transformer, plug in, and it is ready to go.

I didn't like the one's I found on-line. Some seemed closer to a neon sign that a moonlight or night light. I decided to make my own. Found some components that seem to work well and am testing the unit out ATM.

Jim let me know how it turns out, my son may have a couple of projects coming up.

Very slick Jim. If you don't mind me asking, what did the total cost come in at? Also, what size led's did you use, and how many?

Fort,

These are the LED's used

buy-leds-online.com
Blue 913LB7C ( $0.25 each) Color:Blue; wavelength-nm:470; typ-vf:3.4; max-vf:4; half-intensity- angle : 110~130°; lv-at-XXma-mcd:770~1300/(150~250)@ 50
Warm White 3000K+ 913MWO4C ($0.35 each Color:Warm White 3000K+; wavelength-nm:---; typ-vf:3.4; max-vf:4; half-intensity-angle:110~130°; lv-at-XXma-mcd:4700~7800/(900~1500)@ 50

Used the blue's 2 to 1 over the warm white. Didn't like the normal white too harsh. Needs the bit of yellow from the warm white. 6 total (4 blue , 2 w white) for the tank (36") worked fine but I went to 12 (8 blue, 4 w white) for more low intensity options. The wide angle led's work great for the tank. Keeps the light even and diffused. The 1.5 v - 12v power supply lets me adjust the light level by adjusting the voltage from the 3v, 4.5v, 6v, 7.5v, 9v, & 12v range. Resistors are calculated for 12v supply so less v is ok.

Cost about $54. Bought more stuff than I needed. Probably could cut $15 or so off that now that I know what to do. Power supply was $20 for adjustable. Straight 12v would be about $6. Same with the resistors, jacks, wire, etc.

Interesting. I like it... wish I went that route instead. Total cost could come in about the same as the ready made strip I bought, but yours sounds much closer to a moonlight analog. Also, I would have had more fun building it then just taping the strip on to the fixture :).

Now, you can add a breadboard with a programmable circuit so the lights come on in sequence, and the voltage slowly increases so that you can simulate moonrise. Maybe even set it over a 1 month period so you can get the waning/waxing gibbons effect of the phases in there. Now that would be awesome (albeit completely unnecessary, but still fun :) ). I think I could come up with some statistics to show how healthy that would be for your fish to justify it.

Heck, you can use statistics to prove anything. 96.4% of people know that!

Back
Top Bottom