Killer Powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the year since we've had our SW tank we have lost at least 4 fish to death by powerhead. They get stuck to the intake. I've read numerous posts on here that a healthy fish won't be weak enough to get stuck to a powerhead but I am starting to disagree. The most recent was a very healthy yellow tang who swam strongly and ate very well.

I've lost 2 coral beauties, 2 yellow tangs and a CC star to the power head. I've tried to add pre filter sponge but it falls off very easily and I find it hours later floating in the tank.

I have 2 maxi jets 1200s. They come with 2 different options for caps. One they call the Undergravel filter adapter and the other a prefilter grid support. I have tried both.

Can someone who has a successful set up for their power head please post a picture of what your powerhead set up looks like?

We are getting so frustrated with the killer power heads.

DJ

I have had the same issue but I think my fish were sick. I lost 2 in three weeks so maybe water parameters were off. try using a seio 620 instead. They run about 45-50 bucks on internet. Have had great luck with mine and both LFS use them in their tanks for aver a year with no issues either.

Try wrapping a rubber band, or even two, around the sponge to prevent it from falling off, place the band in the center of the sponge. Also, check the band and change it regularly as the salt water will, in time, break it down. I changed mine with regular sponge cleanings... once or twice a month.

It won't fall off this way.

Sorry about your losses BTW.

I too once lost a puffer to a power head intake. I was suprised that he could even fit in the thing! He too was a strong, healthy swimmer with no previous problems. I think that some fish may be curious with the change of currents the power head creates, and once they get too close, they don't stand much of a chance. I currently don't have any fish in my tank that would be threatend by the power head, but I'm trying to think of a screen cup that can clamp over the intake. Like you said, the intake tampers off to fit into the under gravel tubing, so one would think that a plastic cup-like screen could fit snug over the intake. I will start giving it more thought here, if anyone else has any ideas, please let us know.

I too once lost a puffer to a power head intake. I was suprised that he could even fit in the thing! He too was a strong, healthy swimmer with no previous problems. I think that some fish may be curious with the change of currents the power head creates, and once they get too close, they don't stand much of a chance. I currently don't have any fish in my tank that would be threatend by the power head, but I'm trying to think of a screen cup that can clamp over the intake. Like you said, the intake tampers off to fit into the under gravel tubing, so one would think that a plastic cup-like screen could fit snug over the intake. I will start giving it more thought here, if anyone else has any ideas, please let us know.

That should work. I just like the larger one cause it spreads out the suction. (Not a whole lot, but any type of sponge that stays put is good.) Plus I can stand it up in the tank on end and it doesn't put too much stress on the suction cups. Stays put a little better.

:( i lost one of my 2 first fish tonight to the getting stuck to the powerhead, i was just walking by my tank and he was stuck. i got him off but he just started laying on the sand then he died. i had 2 percula clowns i got from the lfs think i'll need to be purchasing that maxijet sponge filter wouldnt want it to happen again

Back
Top Bottom