Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Killer Powerhead

In the year since we've had our SW tank we have lost at least 4 fish to death by powerhead. They get stuck to the intake. I've read numerous posts on here that a healthy fish won't be weak enough to get stuck to a powerhead but I am starting to disagree. The most recent was a very healthy yellow tang who swam strongly and ate very well.

I've lost 2 coral beauties, 2 yellow tangs and a CC star to the power head. I've tried to add pre filter sponge but it falls off very easily and I find it hours later floating in the tank.

I have 2 maxi jets 1200s. They come with 2 different options for caps. One they call the Undergravel filter adapter and the other a prefilter grid support. I have tried both.

Can someone who has a successful set up for their power head please post a picture of what your powerhead set up looks like?

We are getting so frustrated with the killer power heads.

DJ

Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have had the same issue but I think my fish were sick. I lost 2 in three weeks so maybe water parameters were off. try using a seio 620 instead. They run about 45-50 bucks on internet. Have had great luck with mine and both LFS use them in their tanks for aver a year with no issues either.

Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
Try wrapping a rubber band, or even two, around the sponge to prevent it from falling off, place the band in the center of the sponge. Also, check the band and change it regularly as the salt water will, in time, break it down. I changed mine with regular sponge cleanings... once or twice a month.

It won't fall off this way.

Sorry about your losses BTW.
29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I too once lost a puffer to a power head intake. I was suprised that he could even fit in the thing! He too was a strong, healthy swimmer with no previous problems. I think that some fish may be curious with the change of currents the power head creates, and once they get too close, they don't stand much of a chance. I currently don't have any fish in my tank that would be threatend by the power head, but I'm trying to think of a screen cup that can clamp over the intake. Like you said, the intake tampers off to fit into the under gravel tubing, so one would think that a plastic cup-like screen could fit snug over the intake. I will start giving it more thought here, if anyone else has any ideas, please let us know.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:21 PM   #5

I too once lost a puffer to a power head intake. I was suprised that he could even fit in the thing! He too was a strong, healthy swimmer with no previous problems. I think that some fish may be curious with the change of currents the power head creates, and once they get too close, they don't stand much of a chance. I currently don't have any fish in my tank that would be threatend by the power head, but I'm trying to think of a screen cup that can clamp over the intake. Like you said, the intake tampers off to fit into the under gravel tubing, so one would think that a plastic cup-like screen could fit snug over the intake. I will start giving it more thought here, if anyone else has any ideas, please let us know.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:22 PM   #6

sorry for the doubble post here
Old 01-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
I've used some tie wraps myself (Hard Plastic). They do sell a prefilter "Cage"

Have you tried a Quick Filter? See this link for example picture. This has worked for me. I lose a Damsel a year ago and bought this little filter. Looks like it should work for your Powerhead.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113040
Old 01-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

dscount, that looks pretty good but it is so big. 7" long.

What do you think of this?
foam pre-filter:
http://www.aquabuys.com/page/aqb/PROD/k2/as_prefilter

DJ
Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
That should work. I just like the larger one cause it spreads out the suction. (Not a whole lot, but any type of sponge that stays put is good.) Plus I can stand it up in the tank on end and it doesn't put too much stress on the suction cups. Stays put a little better.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i lost one of my 2 first fish tonight to the getting stuck to the powerhead, i was just walking by my tank and he was stuck. i got him off but he just started laying on the sand then he died. i had 2 percula clowns i got from the lfs think i'll need to be purchasing that maxijet sponge filter wouldnt want it to happen again

Tags
powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com