L.E.D. lighting for fw build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellylake01

Aquarium Advice Regular
i am working on my 30g fw build i am currently using t5 HO but i will be switching to led fer i get my new tank. i have had a lot of issues with watts per gallon for my plants, i mostly just end up growing algae LOTS of it.......:facepalm:
the main plant i want to grow is amazon swords, jova moss and Water Wisteria
i will have co2 supplement for algae issue and i need o know how long of a light cycle i will need :thanks:

That depends on the lights you will be using. It could be anywhere from 6-10 hours. Very strong lights are usually run for a shorter time than softer lights. I have one tank that gets 9 hours and another that gets 6&1/2 hours. Any planted tank should also have ferts added to the water to allow plants to outcompete algae. Swords will benefit from root tabs added right under them.

The keys to battling algae is to have only the light the plants need and no more, proper ferts, a good water change routine, clean filters, good water flow, and careful light feeding for the fauna.

my lps dose not carry root tabs and there liquid ferts are crappy as well, is there any way i could make my my own ferts or a name of a good brand to buy ?

I make my own ferts using the Green Fert package from Green Leaf Aquariums. It comes with a micro mix that you put a measured amount into one bottle of RO or distilled water, and it comes with a few other separate dry ferts that you mix into a different bottle. They also carry the bottles and root tabs. You'll need a cheap digital gram scale that everybody usually gets on Amazon for around $8. This is called the PPS-Pro method and I and many others use it.

That said, unless you want a lot of plants it may be easier to start off by ordering premade ferts and root tabs. Seachem comprehensive, Excell and root tabs as well as API Leaf Zone are great to use as far as branded products go. You can also make your own version of Excell with Glute solution that Amazon also carries. I'm on my iPod so I don't have a link ATM.

i already mix my own ferts at home for my orchids but none of that is aquarium safe, so i have some experience. most of my plants are common so i think ill check into pre made stuff just for convenience unless i have issues with it. thanks!!!

plant stock

dwarf water lily
water wisteria
jova moss
betta bulb
amazon sword

im concerned i really don't know how much lighting these are going to need, i can build my light array just for them

A Finnex FugeRay (8000k model) would be a great light for these plants. You can find them on Amazon. If you wanted to go with a stronger light then the Ray 2 would be the next step up, though the plants on your list would be very happy under the FugeRay.

Well, seeing as you have some experience with using specialty fertilizers, you should at least take a look at the Green Leaf Aquarium site. It's not hard in the least. They have a link that gives you a run down of how PPS-Pro dosing works. I doubt you'll have much trouble if any but don't hesitate to ask whatever questions you like about any aspect of caring for your tank. ^_^

i have grown under led before, my only question is why white led's, yes they are a good all over lighting but to my knowledge a mix of colors is best, i have grown amazing orchids under this but i have no idea how it would work for a fish tank, 4 Color Red Blue Orange White LED Grow Panel High Yield Plant Growth 14W | eBay

i was going to make a smaller strip light like your ray, but with blue and red and white and a few 400 uv to set off the iridescence in my fish, i don't know how much lighting is needed for my plants but if the ray is enough ill use it as a template

THANKS FOR THE RECOMMENDATION

Those LEDs are prone to growing lots of algae. Terrestrial plants don't have the same environment to contend with that aquatic plants do. The red LEDs are often used in saltwater algae turf scrubbers because they're so so efficient at growing algae. 6000-8000k daylight lights have proven to be the best color for growing plants and showing off fish without promoting algae. Now, I also use eBay LED lights on my 20 but I use the 6000-6500k floodlights. Two 10w floodlights would work for a medium light system. I have one 20w and one 10w on my 20 and they're powerful. Even with pressurized co2 I only run them for 6.5 hours or algae becomes a real issue. Having strong light over an aquarium can be very difficult to manage. Moderate, proper spectrum light is far easier.

well i guess ill nix the red and focus more on blue and white. have you ever made your own array CorallineAlgae?

No never. I've wired tones of fluorescent and quite a few metal halide systems from parts but the most I've done with LEDs is change out a few emitters. There are some real DIY LED experts on this forum though. You can even get full custom kits online that you can put together with aquarium specific housings. I may go that rout on my next reef tank.

i have made a few led arrays very easy and if you can wire a MH then you can build a led array. The biggest bonus i have found is that the're cool to the touch, and you can make them in any shape or size. That's why I'm looking into them. I need a small profile light

Back
Top Bottom