Large tanks in apartments??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ozy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would like to know if anyone has a large tank in their apartment. Would love to know as im moving in a few months. I want to amalgamate all my tanks in to one big tank. Im looking 6 to 7 feet tank - long story short; with all the water, rocks, driftwood, gravel, sump etc the tank will weigh about a tonne. So, i need to know if i should be looking for an apartment on the ground floor. My neighbour believes new apartments built in melb/victoria have a gross load limit of 1 tonne per sq meter. Can anyone give me any info thanks.

I would defenetly go for the ground apt. Two things come to mind damage to tenents under you and hassel of moving everything to a second floor. I only have a 4 FT tank.

Would like to know if anyone has a large tank in their apartment. Would love to know as im moving in a few months. I want to amalgamate all my tanks in to one big tank. Im looking 6 to 7 feet tank - long story short; with all the water, rocks, driftwood, gravel, sump etc the tank will weigh about a tonne. So, i need to know if i should be looking for an apartment on the ground floor. My neighbour believes new apartments built in melb/victoria have a gross load limit of 1 tonne per sq meter. Can anyone give me any info thanks.

Ground ... That's the problem I have with my apartment the floors already sag so I can't get much bigger . I should have just paid "120$ more a year and moved a building down that wasn't a total dump was in the basement and had its own backyard! Tiny but enough for a grill some lawn chairs and a fire pit man did I screw up!

Also, if you can't get a ground floor apartment, make sure your tank spans across the joists in the floor, instead of running parallel to them, otherwise, your downstairs neighbors will wake up with a pond in their living room.

I think my measurements are wrong im looking at more like 700kg's. Regardless still very heavy. I might just stick to the ground level - as you said pat might also come with a little courtyard! Just so hard as i must buy a brand new appt to gain the first home owners grant from the government. so it narrows my search options,

I think my measurements are wrong im looking at more like 700kg's. Regardless still very heavy. I might just stick to the ground level - as you said pat might also come with a little courtyard! Just so hard as i must buy a brand new appt to gain the first home owners grant from the government. so it narrows my search options,

Buy an apartment or rent ? Or are you looking for a condo that or things work differently over seas I've never heard of buying an apt.

Also, if you can't get a ground floor apartment, make sure your tank spans across the joists in the floor, instead of running parallel to them, otherwise, your downstairs neighbors will wake up with a pond in their living room.

And a new sky light :)

I live in an upstairs it sucks! I have so many tanks that I can't set up here so I stick to my 36 & 20 gallons. Def go for the downstairs. I didn't know I'd fall in love with fish when I moved in here I'm currently looking to move pretty much just for the fish lol

For a tank that size I'd definitely go for a ground floor. I'm on the top floor of my building and "only" have a 40 gal tank but I have constant nightmares of the tank falling through the floor lol Plus I had a filter leak a while back and didn't notice it until the carpet was saturated. It went through the floor and stained the ceiling below. Not fun.

Back
Top Bottom