Larger Pump ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a mag 18 with about 6 feet of hose which put's my pump at or around 1000-1200 gph. I have problems in my far back corners I can see theirs not much movement and one of the corners is geting a little algae on it due to lack of cicrulation. Would a mag 24 be enough to change it or could I go a mag 36 and somehow turn it down to where I need it is possible. I can go with an external pump as well if I could turn it down as needed.
I dont think moving the small pieces of rock in the corner will help, it's just that the rock in the center of the tank is killing my current to the ends, the movement is ok behind the main rocks in the center.

I think a better suggestion would be to purchase some powerheads and create current that way. You didn't mention what size tank you have, but adding a stronger return pump may not increase the flow in those particular areas. Also you would have to take into consideration if your overflows can handle the increase of flow.

Powerheads allow you to strategically place current where it is needed.

I agree, assuming it's a large tank because of your larger return pump I'd throw on a few maxi-jet 1200's and a wavemaker. My tank loves the random patter/flows of my wavemaker.

I dont want to add the unsightly look of the ph showing inside the tank, It's why I bought a rr tank. I can however if need be split the water lines coming into the tank. I have questioned my pump size from day one,
Does anyone know if you can turn down any of the quality pumps without burning up the motors say with a dimmer switch or something similiar

You can use a ball value on most pumps but only on the output side, you never want to restrict the input of a pump. You could also try a second pump and a closed loop circulation system with a SCWD or a ocen motion current switcher.

I'm currently using a closed loop system so I may try a mag 24.. I have no idea if the 36 would be way to much, any thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom