Leaking Bulkhead - SOLVED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serge

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdie folks! Well, when I moved, over a month ago, I had to dismantle my tank, etc... This included dismantling the 4 bulkheads/standpipe assemblies I have on my tank and re-assembling everything at the new location. I have spent a lot of time working on a different hardware setup since I have more space available. Now, my problem is the following: I have re-installed the 4 four bulkhead/standpipe assemblies, and one of the bulkhead just keeps on leaking. I have leaked test the tank 4 times filling it up half full, but to no avail, the leak still remain. I even made a new and thicker gasket, wich is made of thick rubber, about 1/8 of an inch. Still no luck. Again this morning, the leak is still there and I am looking for ideas or suggestions as to what could be causing this. I could replace the bulkhead with one that I purchased for something else, but would like to salvage this one if I can.

I first tighten it manually as hard as I could, then an additional 1/4 turn with a pipe wrench. No luck. tighten it some more a little bit at a time, still no luck. So, I am at the end of my rope on this one, and tired of wasting water. So far, I estimate that I wasted around 200 gallons to fix this bulkhead issue.

Thanks for your time and for reading my rant.

:(

Err.... Ummm.... Well.... It is a cracked bulkhead... It is cracked from the top edge, going downward, following the thread that goes through the glass. So, no matter what kind of gasket I would have put there, it would have leaked for ever. Now that I have seen it closely, I can understand why it leaked more this morning when I tighten it some more. Drats! I have the propensity (sp?) to over tighten everything when I assemble things. I think that in this case it is when I re-installed the standpipe assembly that I cracked it. Using a pipe wrench instead of just using arm strength. Lesson learned! :roll: :tgv:

8)

Back
Top Bottom