Leaking filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevypride

Aquarium Advice Freak
My one filter was leaking, I sealed it with silicone, but I'm just wondering is this actually going to hold? Is it trustworthy?

Silicon is a chemical element. Silicone is a product made from silicon (and/or other elements). I'm assuming you were trying to correct me?

Silicon is a chemical element. Silicone is a product made from silicon (and/or other elements). I'm assuming you were trying to correct me?

Actually no I really wasn't. Auto correct spelled it like that. I'm saying its the same thing as what's on your aquarium

I'm confused. Before there was just a replying saying silicon... Was that my app messing up? Or was it actually there.

I don't think you can delete comments unless you are an admin.

On topic, yes silicon should work. In the future, if it's a HOB filter and it's leaking around the motor it could be you need a new 'O' ring. Just throwing it out there :)

I tried looking and it looks like it's all one piece though, so I'm not sure how I would have gotten it open.

Hmm... so mine is similar to the guy in this video's. Start at 1:20 he shows how to take it off. Yours may be different though.

Silicone is a building material, silicon is a valley In California... Duhhh

Mine is an Marineland emperor 400, it doesn't have that little piece.

Alright. Silicone sealer is used to seal the inside of tanks, so yes certain types of silicone are safe. I know there are some silicone sealers that are not recommended for aquarium use, although depending on how much it touches the tank water, it may not even be an issue if what you used is not considered "aquarium safe."

Even the silicone that is not considered "safe" is likely alright if you soak it long enough. Even treated lumber will become fish safe over time if it is exposed to water and the elements for long enough.

Check the label or call the manufacturer/ visit their website if it is not on the label to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom