LED aquarium lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm planning a 55G freshwater tank, and I have sort of a rough idea in my head of what I want, part of that vision is lighting...

First, I'll say that I have no desire to keep live plants in this tank, the lights will be used for viewing purposes only, and I'll be getting my FW plant fix from a different tank.

Second, the decor for this tank will probably consist mostly of rocks and driftwood. I may end up with a few fake plants in there for color, but I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards using a darker substrate, maybe Tahitian Moon Sand?

Third, I want there to be LED lights on this tank. This is mostly because I have a vision of providing lots of color to this tank through lighting. I'd like to be able to provide more than just white and blue light, sort of like a sunrise/sunset effect. My inspiration right now is the following: (if anyone else even understands this reference I'll be shocked)

Episode 8 of Season 21 of Survivor, there was a scene where there was this brilliant sunset and this strong, orange light was coming from one side, making the lighting of everything just strong. Here's a link to some pictures of it: Ep2108_0495 There are a bunch of other nearby pictures of it too.

Kind of obscure, I know, but I'd like to be able to have an LED setup that can give me white, blue, and red/orange light. I suppose the more colors, the better, though.

My main issue is that all of the LED systems out there are super-expensive, because they're designed to light reef tanks, and I haven't been able to find anything that offers more than just white and blue light. Is there any system out there that's customizable enough for my purposes, or should I start posting in the DIY forum and figure out how to make my own setup from scratch?

IMO, your best bet is DIY. I've never seen an aquarium LED setup with colors like that. If you DIY, try looking at water-proof car lighting, it's relatively inexpensive and has an array of colors.

I also think you're going to have to go the DIY route. There are RGB LEDs that you can adjust to make any color.

Thanks for the replies

I started a thread in the DIY forum and I'm going to end up DIY-ing the lights for this tank. In the process, though, someone posted a link to a lighting system that would have fit my needs, so I'll post it here in case someone else can benefit from it.

AquaFX LED Aquarium Lighting System

It's kind of pricey, but it works for what I would need it for. I decided to DIY because I can customize it more and I can end up doing things more cheaply that way. But, if someone doesn't have the background I have in electronics, I could see how this would be a much better option.

EDIT: Here's a link to the DIY thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/diy-led-lighting-142178.html I'll probably be keeping it pretty well updated as the process goes on...

Back
Top Bottom