LED Heatsink Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So ill give you a bit of info to start with about the build I want to build 2x 24bulb fixtures from rapid LED for my SPS reef:

75g Standard
48x Cree 3w LEDS
SPS Tank
Fixture Will Be Hung In a Canopy 6-8'' Above the water

I want the lighting to fit properly and distribute light in the right way. I dont know how wide or long my heatsink should be. This is my main problem. I am ready to buy the equipment but dont want to tell I have found everything I need and the heat sink is the only missing part. ALSO need to know what degree lens I should use 60 or 80?

ALSO whats

• Anodized?
  • I would like a heat sink like this Drilled but I cant find any that are in stock anyplace.

aniodizing is just an electricaly applied powder coating, may inhibit some corrosion not sure though but wont hurt the heat transfer. Not necessary but looks nice and wouldnt hurt.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
I am doing a similar project. Here's the heatsink I'm using:

And here's my link to a thread on my build. I haven't done much yet as I haven't got some parts from china in yet.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/diy-budget-led-experiment-200531.html

aniodizing is just an electricaly applied powder coating, may inhibit some corrosion not sure though but wont hurt the heat transfer. Not necessary but looks nice and wouldnt hurt.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
I am doing a similar project. Here's the heatsink I'm using:

And here's my link to a thread on my build. I haven't done much yet as I haven't got some parts from china in yet.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/diy-budget-led-experiment-200531.html

they arnt up anymore and I dont see any that will work for my build.

I saw they didnt have that size that I got anymore, but keep an eye out the size i got was 600mm x 140mm x 25mm, so 23.6'' x 5.5'' x 2'' , it was around $40 shipped, not drilled. I also got a narrower one and pre wired strips.

I found a site that I can order any size I want thats made here in the USA! so ill be getting a 2 - 6x16 fixture does this sound good? each fixture will have 24 3w LEDS

Have you looked for aluminum ibeams?? I saw on another web site how a guy made a led fixture with it and it looked awesome caise he even putted a acrylic piece as splash guard!! Plus i made my fixture with an aluminum channel very thin though but it works!! If i remember well the ibeams on amazon was $15 for 12" and my aluminum channel costed $4 very cheap and easy to drill!!

Attachments

• image-3481903275.jpg
    image-3481903275.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom