Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
roydooms's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,323
I set up 4 led lights on one side of my tank(outside) so I can turn off all the lights(aquarium and room lights) and just leave the 4 LED lights on. Just part of the tank is illuminated. The lights are too bright when I look at it and it's blinding. My concern is since it's on the side of the tank there is no water surface that moves to filter the light and that it's too bright for the fish and might damage their eyes. You guys think it's ok or it'll damage the fishes eyes or something? Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Comprehensive List of Plant Profiles
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-153985.html
roydooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
McLumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Posts: 843
Is there a reason why you couldn't put the LED lights on the top? Also, if the lights appear bright to you, it's more than likely too bright for them. I don't know if it could damage their eyes, but if I had to guess, over time it could.

Another problem w/ having bright lights on after the main tank lights are shut off is it could disturb their sleep schedule. Is it possible to place the lights behind the tank, (to illuminate the background), or place them in another area of the room?

I have a corded night-light placed behind my 10g Betta/ADF tank and it gives off a light glow. My 55g DT doesn't have any lights on or near the tank, (except my strip lights of course lol), but I do have a Himalayan Ionic Salt Light sitting on a sofa table approx. 10ft away from the tank.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My 55 Gallon Planted Community Tank Thread | 55G Pics
My Low-Tech/Low-Maintenance Build Thread | Freshwater Compatibility Chart
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
roydooms's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLumpy
Is there a reason why you couldn't put the LED lights on the top? Also, if the lights appear bright to you, it's possible that they are too bright for them. I don't know if it could damage their eyes, but if I had to guess, over time it could be possible.

Another problem w/ having bright lights on after the main tank lights are shut off is it could disturb their sleep schedule. Is it possible to place the lights behind the tank, (to illuminate the background), or place them in another area of the room?

I have a corded night-light placed behind my 10g Betta/ADF tank and it gives off a light glow. My 55g DT doesn't have any lights on or near the tank, (except my strip lights of course lol), but I do have a Himalayan Ionic Salt Light sitting on a sofa table approx. 10ft away from the tank.
What I usually do is I turn on the room light and watch my tank. I am trying to save money and bought a battery operated LED lights. If I put the LED on top, only a small part is illuminated unlike if it's on the side it'll be the whole length but not as bright as turning on the tank light. I might just put it on top than risking any damage to the fish. I am planning to use it right after the lights turns off. That's it and not to wake them up. I don't want to leave the lights longer to avoid algae and high energy bill. Lol!
__________________
Comprehensive List of Plant Profiles
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-153985.html
roydooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
McLumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
What I usually do is I turn on the room light and watch my tank. I am trying to save money and bought a battery operated LED lights. If I put the LED on top, only a small part is illuminated unlike if it's on the side it'll be the whole length but not as bright as turning on the tank light. I might just put it on top than risking any damage to the fish. I am planning to use it right after the lights turns off. That's it and not to wake them up. I don't want to leave the lights longer to avoid algae and high energy bill. Lol!
Are the LED lights being used temporarily so you can watch them after lights out, (then turn it off before you retire for the night)? Or are you leaving them on all night? If you leave them on all night, let me know what brand of batteries you have in the fixture so I can buy stock in the company.

Also, what I meant about interrupting their sleep schedule was in regards to having a bright light on all night. Of course, I didn't know if you were doing this or not. Regardless, I think a dim "night light" for them would be a better solution. If you want to "spy" on them, my suggestion of an illuminated background works great, (I know because I "spy" on my Bettas and Frogs a lot lol).
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My 55 Gallon Planted Community Tank Thread | 55G Pics
My Low-Tech/Low-Maintenance Build Thread | Freshwater Compatibility Chart
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
roydooms's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLumpy

Are the LED lights being used temporarily so you can watch them after lights out, (then turn it off before you retire for the night)? Or are you leaving them on all night? If you leave them on all night, let me know what brand of batteries you have in the fixture so I can buy stock in the company.

Also, what I meant about interrupting their sleep schedule was in regards to having a bright light on all night. Of course, I didn't know if you were doing this or not. Regardless, I think a dim "night light" for them would be a better solution. If you want to "spy" on them, my suggestion of an illuminated background works great, (I know because I "spy" on my Bettas and Frogs a lot lol).
Yes, I only turn on the lights so I can watch them after lights out and turn them off after. I kinda like the LED lights on top. I'm actually going to add more(4 total). It looks really cool having just part of the aquarium that you can really see and bottom of the tank is shimmering from the water surface movement on top. Its like what you see in nature when the light is blocked by big trees and only a few rays of sun hits the water and just a few parts under water gets light and it shimmers. Did I explain it right? Did you get it? Lol.

LOL on "spying"
__________________
Comprehensive List of Plant Profiles
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-153985.html
roydooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
roydooms's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,323
The picture doesn't do justice but you get the picture. I only have one so far and I'm going to get 3 more and put it on different spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-486947640.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	31257   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3433348113.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	31258  

__________________
Comprehensive List of Plant Profiles
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-153985.html
roydooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
McLumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
Yes, I only turn on the lights so I can watch them after lights out and turn them off after. I kinda like the LED lights on top. I'm actually going to add more(4 total). It looks really cool having just part of the aquarium that you can really see and bottom of the tank is shimmering from the water surface movement on top. Its like what you see in nature when the light is blocked by big trees and only a few rays of sun hits the water and just a few parts under water gets light and it shimmers. Did I explain it right? Did you get it? Lol.

LOL on "spying"
Yeah, I get it. lol I just wanted to verify that you weren't leaving the lights on all night. I had to ask because some people do some strange things. lol

Oh and I get the same effect when I place my LED flashlight on the top of my tank. I have it placed behind one of my light fixtures. I turn it on in the morning, (to wake them up in lieu of using the bright tank lights). After a minute or so, I turn on the tank lights and shut off the flashlight. I do the same thing in reverse at night. I read somewhere that sudden bright light/darkness makes fish uber twitchy. lol
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My 55 Gallon Planted Community Tank Thread | 55G Pics
My Low-Tech/Low-Maintenance Build Thread | Freshwater Compatibility Chart
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
roydooms's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLumpy

Yeah, I get it. lol I just wanted to verify that you weren't leaving the lights on all night. I had to ask because some people do some strange things. lol

Oh and I get the same effect when I place my LED flashlight on the top of my tank. I have it placed behind one of my light fixtures. I turn it on in the morning, (to wake them up in lieu of using the bright tank lights). After a minute or so, I turn on the tank lights and shut off the flashlight. I do the same thing in reverse at night. I read somewhere that sudden bright light/darkness makes fish uber twitchy. lol
Lol. I just tried the LED flashlight and it does have the same effect

What I do in the morning is I open the blinds first and then after a few minutes I turn on the room lights and then after maybe 15 minutes I turn on the tank light. At night I turn on the room light and then turn off the tank light.
__________________
Comprehensive List of Plant Profiles
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-153985.html
roydooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
McLumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
The picture doesn't do justice but you get the picture. I only have one so far and I'm going to get 3 more and put it on different spots.
That looks cool! I have mine positioned directly above my Amazon Sword and it makes the leaves really "pop". I'm getting ready to buy a new lighting fixture that has 8 moonlights that will stay on all night. They're blue and very dim, so it should look really nice!

Welp, hittin' the sack, (but I think I might "spy" on my fishies first! lol). Have a good night!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My 55 Gallon Planted Community Tank Thread | 55G Pics
My Low-Tech/Low-Maintenance Build Thread | Freshwater Compatibility Chart
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
roydooms's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLumpy

That looks cool! I have mine positioned directly above my Amazon Sword and it makes the leaves really "pop". I'm getting ready to buy a new lighting fixture that has 8 moonlights that will stay on all night. They're blue and very dim, so it should look really nice!

Welp, hittin' the sack, (but I think I might "spy" on my fishies first! lol). Have a good night!
I might put the other one on top of my sword too. We'll see...

I bet those moonlights will make your tank looks really nice.

Have a good night as well
__________________

__________________
Comprehensive List of Plant Profiles
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-153985.html
roydooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blind, led, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Want an LED Light Bulb JackSpadesSI General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 12 03-09-2011 04:00 PM
Anyone tried LED light? gu2high Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 6 09-11-2007 10:20 PM
Lunar Light Led? CaptnIgnit Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 09-14-2006 05:22 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.