Led light for FW Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MightyO

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 150 gallon tank with a geryi piranha with live plants an I was thinking of putting led lights (plain white) an my aquariums is this a good idea ??? Plz help

It can be a good idea, if you get the right LEDs. There are a lot of crap LED fixtures out there. Are you looking for fixture suggestions, or just wondering in general if LEDs are a good way to go? Lots of folks use them on planted tanks with great success. I personally would have issues going with any other lighting solution (unless something even better comes out in the future).

The problem is I need about 60 watts for my tank an that hard to find in LEDs unless I double up lights an its going to costs me about $400 to do that

You can do better than $400 for good led lighting.

Are you interested in building your own?

I really wasn't trying to go that high but if that's what it takes that I have no choice

TaoTronics TT AL09 Dimmable Coral Reef Tank Light LED Aquarium Light 120W 55 3W | eBay

2 of those units would do well on a 150 I think, if mounted high enough.

These lights are designed for reef tanks, but the 3W white LEDs are appropriate for plant growth, and since they are dimmable you could add in a bit of blue just for color.

beyond that, you could build a really high quality fixture for probably around $300. Or you could mount 4 truelumen pro strips in your hood, but that is going to get expensive.

Other option is 2 of these: reefbreeders

Back
Top Bottom