LED light placement and required bright lights for a reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkimball

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419378517.484009.jpg
How is my LED light placement? have had my tank over a year and I'm still trying to figure out proper light placement. Secondly how long should the whites stay on? I love this page for all the information provided

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My tank is a 125 gallon with 2 120 full spectrum LED lights

My only suggestion would be to make sure the lights are level with the tank, as you have them slightly crooked at the moment. This will ensure you get the most coverage from the light into the tank, rather than wasting light going into the room or around the tank itself.

The whites should stay on as much as you need them to. 7 or 8 hours of viewing time is usually sufficient. Don't think there is more PAR and/or intensity in the whites, as they (white or blue) put out about the same PAR.
As for placement, I'd probably lower them a bit if they are shining in your eyes while viewing the tank, otherwise you don't have a lot of sps, so don't really need much more intensity than you have....but in that case i would lower them a bit. Are they turned all the way up?

Mr X, my whites are turned down to about 70 percent as I thought things looked like they were bleaching. I will lower them, thank you for sharing your knowledge :).

No, no...you may have misunderstood me. If you don't have to lower them, then don't. I'm just saying that if you are seeing slow growth, it may be because you don't have enough intensity, but it would seem that you are ok, if you've been doing this for a year now.

Back
Top Bottom