LED lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowdrop7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Upgrading to a new 50g tank which came with 2 hoods and also have heard a lot about LED lighting as a better option. Anyone tried that?
And... probably a dumb question but I absolutely cannot figure out how to install a check valve on my tubing... Tubing came with it but it does not seem to fit... THANKS

You may have to soften the tubing by heating it up in hot water, then work(push) the check valve into it.

I recently swtiched from MH to LED. I couldn't be happier. I got the PacificSun BT EX units (1 master/ 2 slaves) for my 6' tank. The LEDs are fully controllable. Right now I am running them at 62% power, but as I add more corals and they get acclimated I will ramp it up. At that point I will set the 40 waypoints for sunset rising to a noon sun and dropping down to sunset. At peak these will produce the equivalent of 400w MH without the heat.

Since adding the LEDs I no longer need a fan to cool the tank. The tank stays at a consistent 79 degrees and I am using much less top off water, not to mention the cost saving on electricity and not having to buy new bulbs every year.

I just read that LEDs do not produce light in the yellow-green spectrum that cyanobacteria (red slime) loves, so LEDs can eliminate that problem too!

I'll be posting a full thread on my installation soon.

I have a 100% led tank and love it. I use to have a fan to cool tank but I took it down. My tank was at 81 today and it was 95 outside. I dont know about the cyano because I have had a cyano problem since I got my new lights. I bought a new wave maker and so far so good. I could control the sun up sun set dimming but have not set that up yet. I will eventually. Mine were DIY and are very bright. Great investment and no need for chiller.

Edison cool white and royal blue per "bin info". As for spectrum that is a good question. I just emailed the manufacturer to find out.

This is from the manufacturer. not sure what it means. I have 18 white leds and 12 blue led.

40% blue – 60% white ~ 12000K
50% blue – 50% white ~ 14000K
60% blue – 40$ white ~ 20000K

So im assuming its 20000k.

Well, it's hard to tell from what they gave you. They should also have given you a chart of the spectrum in nanometers (nm). If the blues are at 420 - 460nm and and the whites are at some combination that peaks around 500 you should be fine. It's the green - yellow part that I've heard cyano loves. But, from a paper I just found it's actually the Yellow-Red spectrum.

Distribution in a Benthic Cyanobacterial Mat
"The highest activity occurred between 550 and 650 nm, with maxima at 580 and 650 nm."

Back
Top Bottom