Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The actual little chip that puts out the light is the emitter. The strips of leds are just that strips of leds.

The 1w individual leds are in a different class, Im not sure what its called its something like high power emitters, or high output. They have individual aluminum baseplates and some (like most of the cree's) can be either 1w or 3w depending on how you wire them and/or what driver you power them with. When you buy them, you should get info on how to run them as a 1w led or as a 3w led. For example I have some Royal blue cree's that are 1w or 3w. If you run them at 3.3v and 350mA they are 1w, and if you run them at 3.3v and 750mA they are 3w. Some other 1w leds are just 1w and cannot run at 3w.

I'd just use 1w or 3w depending on your needs. If you need around 75w of led lighting, It would be easier (in my experience) to use 25 x 3w leds as opposed to 75 x 1w leds. But it just depends on your tanks requirements. And that light isnt that bad, its just If it was 50x3w leds it giving you the 150w of power it would be much better. That was just done to be the cheapest way possible to say you have led lighting, kinda like marineland does with their fixtures.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, stay away from marineland "reef ready" fixtures. More like ready to kill lps and sps corals "ready". This is the tag on my nano cube 28g. It has 25 3w LEDs and I am growing sps effortlessly. You will be looking at $350-$450 for a basic 3w led setup for your size tank off eBay.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur
Yeah, stay away from marineland "reef ready" fixtures. More like ready to kill lps and sps corals "ready". This is the tag on my nano cube 28g. It has 25 3w LEDs and I am growing sps effortlessly. You will be looking at $350-$450 for a basic 3w led setup for your size tank off eBay.
How many 3W LEDs would I need for a 75 gallon tank?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would probably do 2 fixtures of 25 x 3w each, or two fixtures like the one I built for mine using 9x10w LEDs.
search: DIY budget LED experiment
For my build, I would post a link but I'm using the app and not sure how.

I'm a big fan of the 10w hybrid LEDs search on eBay, they are 2/3 blue and 1/3 white, and have great color, easy to work with, will burn your eyeballs out of your head bright.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratj1
will burn your eyeballs out of your head bright.

Lol, I'm with the 2 25 3w setup. Love DIY setups!!
Old 06-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would stay away from any led strips for lighting a sw tank. they may light up the tank but being such low power per led i dont think it would penetrate the water with enough lumens for your corals. would be fine for a fish only but then you wouldnt need that much light anyway.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs
I would stay away from any led strips for lighting a sw tank. they may light up the tank but being such low power per led i dont think it would penetrate the water with enough lumens for your corals. would be fine for a fish only but then you wouldnt need that much light anyway.
Really? I have heard their very good for saltwater reef tanks
Old 06-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I heard to stay away as well. There is also the heat issue. They all share the same contact point.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur
I heard to stay away as well. There is also the heat issue. They all share the same contact point.
I thought they were cooler on the water too?
I heard that was another benefit of them, less heat, less wattage means less electricity costs, don't have to replace bulbs
Old 06-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16

I thought they were cooler on the water too?
I heard that was another benefit of them, less heat, less wattage means less electricity costs, don't have to replace bulbs
Well yes and no. LEDs still get warm. But at the diode. There is still wattage draw when you have multiple LEDs on a strip. With LEDs the heat is drawn up or away from the fixture. Where a halide for example transfers hear where it's aimed. I was taking about the contact point where it plugs in. 100 LEDs on a strip will create some amount of heat.

Tags
led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com