Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
LED lighting

Hey I am looking into getting new lights for my 75 gallon tank and I ran across this on Craigslist today:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/3036763790.html

Is this a good fixture?
I wanna be able to grow and keep any corals without having to worry about not having enough lighting
My tank has just finished cycling so I have no livestock in right now but I'm wanting to get rid of my power compact fixture which I have now
Any and all advice is appreciated!
Thanks!
__________________

__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
Seems a little on the Small side. I have 25 LEDs and they push a little over 75 watts. This unit has over 650 LEDs at 175 watts. Do I think it's enough? Probably overkill. Does something seem weird at 160 bucks? Yeah hopefully mr. X tunes in.

Edit - my tank is only 30g but I am making a comparison to the quality of LED.
__________________

__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
It looks like it puts out some decent light, but I would be wary of anything homemade. The builder could really know his stuff, or not. I would be worried that there is some underlying problem with it. IMO, it's a gamble.
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
It looks like it puts out some decent light, but I would be wary of anything homemade. The builder could really know his stuff, or not. I would be worried that there is some underlying problem with it. IMO, it's a gamble.
Yeah I texted him, asked a few questions and it sounds like he really knows his stuff! I think he either does this for a living or does it in his spare time, he said he's making a purple light strip next week that would look good with it..

In the second picture or even in the first, what are those plug things on the left?
Im sure their for the power source but what do I connect those too?
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
No idea... That's out of my league!! It does look like it puts out some light, I would just be afraid of something not manufactured, JMO.
Good luck, either way!
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
It's easy for someone to sound like they know what they are talking about to someone who doesn't know a whole lot about the product. Don't get swindled. With this many LEDs, they have to be a cheap led IMO.

Those are the leads that plug into the ballast or power supply. The supply will have male connectors on the Opposite end.
__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readingexcalibur
It's easy for someone to sound like they know what they are talking about to someone who doesn't know a whole lot about the product. Don't get swindled. With this many LEDs, they have to be a cheap led IMO.

Those are the leads that plug into the ballast or power supply. The supply will have male connectors on the Opposite end.
Ohh I don't have any of those!
How much would those cost me?
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Readingexcalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,305
Looks like it comes with the lights. According to the add anyways.
__________________
"When you're down by the sea and an eel bites your knee... That's a Moray"
Readingexcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbia, TN
Posts: 667
A couple things I don't like about this fixture.

One is that the LEDs are not very powerful per led. I believe that this makes a difference. Think of it in extremes. Would laying an LCD tv be a good light for an aquarium, I'm sure they have 30w of LEDs in them. Or a single 30w led emitter? I don't like either I'd like 10x3w emitters.

Another thing is the heatsink doesn't look right for 175w of led light. I can't really see the back of the fixture, but it doesn't seem to have cooling fins, and as tightly as those are packed I would really be wondering how hot that thing would get running 12hr plus without much airflow. But since they are so low power, they may be ok, but still.

It would probably work, and I'd say he has close to $100 in materials so the price isn't too bad. But the design isn't my favorite. I would look for something built with 1w emitters on up.
__________________
Saratj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratj1
A couple things I don't like about this fixture.

One is that the LEDs are not very powerful per led. I believe that this makes a difference. Think of it in extremes. Would laying an LCD tv be a good light for an aquarium, I'm sure they have 30w of LEDs in them. Or a single 30w led emitter? I don't like either I'd like 10x3w emitters.

Another thing is the heatsink doesn't look right for 175w of led light. I can't really see the back of the fixture, but it doesn't seem to have cooling fins, and as tightly as those are packed I would really be wondering how hot that thing would get running 12hr plus without much airflow. But since they are so low power, they may be ok, but still.

It would probably work, and I'd say he has close to $100 in materials so the price isn't too bad. But the design isn't my favorite. I would look for something built with 1w emitters on up.
What do you mean 1 watt emitters? Isn't that less than 3 watts?
I probably won't be getting this anyways but just for future reference
__________________

__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.