Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

LED lighting

Ok, so I'm thinking of buying a Marineland LED reef light... I have a 29 gallon tank.have A mushroom leather, anemone, and 2 feather Dusters, the light that will fit my tank is a 24" with the white led's and blue moonlight led's.... Has anyone had expirience with Marineland LED's? Any pro's or con's??

Old 08-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My understanding is that they aren't powerful enough for anemones

Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

+1. I've read they are not worth the money. No experience though.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelduval1
Ok, so I'm thinking of buying a Marineland LED reef light... I have a 29 gallon tank.have A mushroom leather, anemone, and 2 feather Dusters, the light that will fit my tank is a 24" with the white led's and blue moonlight led's.... Has anyone had expirience with Marineland LED's? Any pro's or con's??
For what you have, that light won't be sufficient. What lights are you running now? I see you have a nem. Leathers are ok IMO but that nem will require more light.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ive done a lot of research into LEDS and I am still not sure which way to go. If you look at the completr setups Marine land sells, they basically double up on their reef lights.

Dr foster and smith's website has Marineland systems for sale and for example a 6 foot tank comes with 4 3 foot reef capable LEDS.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Don't buy marine land I owned one they weren't powerful enough. I have orphec LEDs they work amazing, look into them.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your budget
Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Everytime this topic comes up, I say to look at the taotronics LEDs on ebay. Cheapest you'll find and strong enough to keep anything your heart desires.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes I have experienced the Marineland fixtures and shortly tested one on my 29g tank. They are very unreliable fixtures, also the power output is pretty pathetic. You wont grow much more than softies with them. also the 'moonlights' are way to much for moonlighting. You get what you pay for, so look into some other fixtures.

My recommendation for a 29g and a budget is the Kessil A150 @$265. Great light, exceptional company, no heat, low power consumption and you will be able to grow practically anything your heart desires.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
Yes I have experienced the Marineland fixtures and shortly tested one on my 29g tank. They are very unreliable fixtures, also the power output is pretty pathetic. You wont grow much more than softies with them. also the 'moonlights' are way to much for moonlighting. You get what you pay for, so look into some other fixtures.

My recommendation for a 29g and a budget is the Kessil A150 @$265. Great light, exceptional company, no heat, low power consumption and you will be able to grow practically anything your heart desires.
Hey Schism what are your thoughts on Par30 and Par38's?

You seem knowledgable so I wanted your opinion on it and figured it went with the topic at hand...

My friends tank(10g) has been doing well with the Par30's and there 74.00

Also Ledtric has the pretty popular Par38 back I stock. The full spectrum one. It looks pretty sweet.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com