Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Corals can and will thrive under any lighting conditions.... One of the top tanks in the USA is run under only 6500k lights..

Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
Corals can and will thrive under any lighting conditions.... One of the top tanks in the USA is run under only 6500k lights..
I strongly disagree. 6500k lights is only for the photosynthesis of plants. It has to be supplemented with actinic blue for corals. Unless one is dealing with corals who only require minimum of lights such as candy cane yes they will flourish.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ill have to look for the book and author .. They found the best ten reef aquariums in the states. And there number one tank was using 6500k lights. I'm sure it had some actinics on it. But it goes to show that high powered 10 to 20000k daylights is not really a must like everyone says to be.. This tank was gorgeous!! My opinion. And it's just my opinion.. I'm learning that spending 2000$ on lights is just crazy.. Yes it would be nice to have them... I looked at a light that simulated lightning.. Nice. But for 500 per light and needing 3 or 4 of them.. Ill pass. You can read in other forums that everyone does something different.. So IMO.. The need for dimmable LEDs. Is a want. Not a need.. .. I have been reading forums and opinions for 8 months straight now. And learning daily.. But there are 3000 ways to do one thing. And most all have the same effect.. Not trying to stir any pots.. Just stating my opinion. It's Friday! Lol no need for bad moods.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dimming is not necessary, it is nice. Cloud cover and lightening effects are not for me, they are a waste of money IMO. Basic dimming will be available in the Onyx later this spring. Might go that route if it doesn't add much to the price, nice for acclimating coral, but that's all.

6500k generates a lot of PAR. The poster that said that is right, corals and algae grow great under it. I used 6500k and magenta LEDs in my algae scrubber.

Our LFS sells Onyx and Al Sol and the Onyx outsells them 10 to 1. Something there. Guess that high price doesn't affect those buyers.

If all you wanted to do was grow coral and didn't care if it tended towards mostly brown, you would use common 6500k floodlights. Or maybe daylight, but I want to see the colors, so a more complex spectrum is needed IMO.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I strongly disagree. 6500k lights is only for the photosynthesis of plants. It has to be supplemented with actinic blue for corals. Unless one is dealing with corals who only require minimum of lights such as candy cane yes they will flourish.
So what's the algae in the tissues of coral? Plants. Actinic blue is not a necessary wavelength to the health of any coral. It is a supplement and makes it look nicer.

Lighten up some, your reaction to my recommendation read to sound condescending. I can forward reams of literature that will explain how Zooxanthellae algae responds to various wavelengths, but don't want to further an argument. Look it up. Everybody has an opinion and that's what we strive to share here, but attacking a simple claim that there is value in this light is a waste of time.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is not true when you said dimming is not needed. The feature is not a gimmick like cloudy or storm or disco effect. It simply the only way to acclimate corals from T5/MH. If you don't get dimmer, then you will need to be creative like someone here that add a stack of acrylic sheets on top of their tank and removing 1 or 2 sheets every few days. or risk of losing coral due to change of light intensity.

Again, like I mentioned it is really hard to convince others that dimmer is not needed when rapid LED promote dimming kits for most of their DYI kits.
Everything I said are base on information and observation from others, not me. I understand personal experience and personal preference are important. However, those can be different from person to person. That is the only reason why I list information base on "official" sites and links. Also all the spec I used are from them directly.

You might not like how AI Sol's performance and the "look", but that is a personal preference. When it comes to specs, u should only go by what each these companies are listed and provided simply that not everyone able to get a PAR meter, not to mention the spectrometer to compare each light and it is not needed anyways.

EDIT: no one here attacking any claims, people come on threads searching for answers, provide them information from different point of view is needed. When you make a statement on ceratin things, people would question it and also can oppose to what you are saying. If you want to make a statement on things like coral doesn't need blue spectrum to be healthy, the only way to back up that is with a valid source. I would love to know more about it, so next time when I try to help one of my customers, I won't provide them wrong information. I don't see how you take these questions and comments as personal atk.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are millions of ways to do one thing.. Some people slowly acclimate to light. And some can just throw them straight into high light. I know a guy that does all the "don't do's".. And has never had an issue in 5 years.. No water changes. No ro top off water. Water temp acclimation only.. Corals go straight to top if the tank.. And the only fish he has ever list was either by bigger fish hungry. Or jumps out of the tank.. This entire hobby is a gamble from what I'm learning..
Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyf709 View Post
That is not true when you said dimming is not needed. The feature is not a gimmick like cloudy or storm or disco effect. It simply the only way to acclimate corals from T5/MH. If you don't get dimmer, then you will need to be creative like someone here that add a stack of acrylic sheets on top of their tank and removing 1 or 2 sheets every few days. or risk of losing coral due to change of light intensity.

Again, like I mentioned it is really hard to convince others that dimmer is not needed when rapid LED promote dimming kits for most of their DYI kits.
Everything I said are base on information and observation from others, not me. I understand personal experience and personal preference are important. However, those can be different from person to person. That is the only reason why I list information base on "official" sites and links. Also all the spec I used are from them directly.

You might not like how AI Sol's performance and the "look", but that is a personal preference. When it comes to specs, u should only go by what each these companies are listed and provided simply that not everyone able to get a PAR meter, not to mention the spectrometer to compare each light and it is not needed anyways.
Dimming a whole reef, or section of reef to acclimate the addition of one coral is not practical and can cause many issues. If that is your primary reason for dimming, it can be replaced with a sheet of typing paper over the new coral, leaving the rest of the reef alone. But again, my point is dimming is a nice "feature" but the coral could care less. It is not necessary to good coral growth and viewing. As I said before, Rapid is adding dimming to this fixture for those that want it. I don't know what you mean by them "promoting" dimming, but will take your word on that.

It's the price of Al Sols and Radions that I don't like. Charging a premium just because it has a variable driver in it is not where I want to be.

Do a google search "do corals need actinic light?" you will see a lot of info as to what actinic wavelengths are good for. But they are not generally mandatory for coral growth. Here is an excellent thread on the topic: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1918382

And it's the tone of your first post that rilled me up, sorry.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There is a light out there I would love to have.. It simulates actual days.. Sunrise to sunset even with thunder storms.. Be really sweet!! But there very expensive and need many lights.. To much money for my taste..
Old 03-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
There is a light out there I would love to have.. It simulates actual days.. Sunrise to sunset even with thunder storms.. Be really sweet!! But there very expensive and need many lights.. To much money for my taste..
All that is certainly cool and if I had a bigger budget I might want something like that as well, but I am trying to grow corals and am less worried about anything but growth and color. Still cool though.

As far as the hobby being a gamble, yes there is some of that, but reefkeeping is pretty straight forward biology. Where there is a lot not known, there is a lot that is known. The fact that many of us post for years is to try to distribute basic information, that if anyone will listen to, makes your chances of success multiply many fold. We have all made some of the same mistakes. It is forums like this that can help you avoid those mistakes. The rest is simply opinions.

Tags
led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com