Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm just a noob. But I have been reading and reading.. Lol. Def a lot of great info out there. But the hard part is on some things.. Is who to believe.. One website tells you a whole story on what to do.. But the next site says don't do that... Lol one expert will say yes.. The next expert will say no.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
I'm just a noob. But I have been reading and reading.. Lol. Def a lot of great info out there. But the hard part is on some things.. Is who to believe.. One website tells you a whole story on what to do.. But the next site says don't do that... Lol one expert will say yes.. The next expert will say no.
That's why you have to look at several sources and make your own mind up as to where the evidence leads.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

I want to chime in on this topic with a different perspective then most would have. I am an electrician, I install lights, leds, drivers etc. all the time. I also go the wholesalers to put together lighting packages for different jobs. I know the cost of these fixtures and I cant justify paying upwards of 900$ (CND) for a Radion Pro fixture. Regardless of the LED brand, Driver brand, dimming vs no dimming the cost of parts in these fixtures is a fraction of the price you pay for these things.

Now I understand you pay for the development and the fancy cases etc but really? Its not worth it IMO, I would rather buy the chinese ebay fixtures and save the money, if I have to double them up im still further ahead. I just purchased 3 fixtures for tank for 500$. One AI SOL would cost me $399.99 I would need 3, one Radion (basic model) would cost $660 and again I need 3.

So lets work it out.

3 "No Names"--$500
3 AI Sol-------$1199.97
3 Radions-----$1980

Now even if I need to replace a full unit, or change out the drivers or a few LED's im still looking at less cost for the same effect. Maybe my corals wont grow as fast or become as bright but im a firm believer in the fact that this hobby should affordable for everyone. Not just the people who can dump $2000+ into lights without a flinch.

Just my 2 cents but until the cost comes down I think if someone finds a fixture in the price range that works for them, go for it they will all do the same thing, provide light for corals, just at different rates.
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am an engineer and also build my own fixtures. You have described my view point better than I did. The Chinese panels are great, it's why I used them and fought with many on this forum who didn't believe they were worth anything, but for $100 more I found a better built (Chinese drivers are junk) fixture that has the added benefit of a more pleasing spectrum.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
One thing you guys didn't notice. The OP only wants to keep fish, if I understand correctly- nothing photosynthetic. If that's the case, The marineland unit is perfect for them.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's right, if its just fish you can use about anything you want. We get kind of reef centric now and then!

This has become an interesting thread as there is much changing with LED. How do you Mr_X weigh in on this? You were an early adopter of Chinese panels too. What is your opinion on dimming and color spectrum? We have discussed this before and it was a good conversation.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
That's right, if its just fish you can use about anything you want. We get kind of reef centric now and then!

But how do you Mr_X weigh in on this? You were an early adopter of Chinese panels too. What is your opinion on dimming and color spectrum?
The "full spectrum" units are completely unnecessary. I have corals growing under both those and the straight blue and whites and they are the same.
Dimmable is important IMO, even if it's just a pair of knobs on top of the unit. I say this mainly for acclimation purposes. I believe this is the reason people think they can't color up corals under the fixtures- because they bleach the dickens out of them early on.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You don't believe there is value in enhancing the corals color on display? I didn't go this route to increase growth. Do all your fixtures dim? I just have a shaded area I start corals out in. Bleaching is certainly a problem with LEDs.

If this was the case, why don't we just use flood lights? Lots of PAR for $5.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see the colored fixtures enhancing the color much at all. No, all of my fixtures do not dim. I have 4 non-dimmable and 2 dimmable, and one of those 2 is a multicolored one.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I set them up side by side and I thought both looked fine, but the full spectrum really made the colors pop out in a very natural look. I found it pretty dramatic when compared like this. Again, I won't argue growth as long as PAR values are similar. But I wouldn't display a fine piece of art and light it with a cheap fluorescent bulb,

We also did this at the LFS using T5 and MH, the Rapid fixture "looked" better than both to me.

Tags
led, led lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com