Led lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac1972

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hay all... I currently have a 72 bowfront tank with a florescent canopy light... Was wondering if I can convert to led lights and if it is expensive... Thanks

I have a 70 gallon with 3 led lights 36" long. It depends how much you want to pay for a good light. I've had marineland led lighting wasn't crazy about it then upgraded to ecoxotic led stunner strips and they are awesome. I have live pants too which do great with the LEDs.

they can be very expensive. I know alot of people on here have taotronic led's their not that expensive around 150 to 170 per unit. But you won't have to change any bulbs for years and years and the cost savings will more then cover the cost just in your first couple of bulb changes on your old lights

Is there a website I can visit? Am I just replacing the florescent hood? Have an all glass top that the hood fits on...thanks

Is there a website I can visit? Am I just replacing the florescent hood? Have an all glass top that the hood fits on...thanks
they hang above the tank so you wouldn't need the hood you may also be able to incorporate them into your existing hood but ideally they should be at least a foot off the tank because they are not waterproof and the light will spread more evenly

Since you have a glass top you can have the light fixture closer to the surface. Live plants would benefit to the light being closer.

Thanks for the input.... Checked out the site....having no cover on the tank is not really an option for me since I have an adventurous 4 yr old.... I guess I thought they had a hood similar to my florescent one....

Thanks for the input.... Checked out the site....having no cover on the tank is not really an option for me since I have an adventurous 4 yr old.... I guess I thought they had a hood similar to my florescent one....

Oh sorry. Perhaps I read your post wrong. I thought your tank had a glass top. That being said glass lids are available for most tanks or you can have one made. I started with replacing my top from the standard plastic hood to full glass top and noticed a difference in the brightness of the tank. I think the plastic lid block some of the light.

Lol... I was responding to the post above yours... I do have an all glass top.... But really couldn't find what I had envisioned it would look like... I tried the website that was suggested...can I ask where your led came from?

Lol... I was responding to the post above yours... I do have an all glass top.... But really couldn't find what I had envisioned it would look like... I tried the website that was suggested...can I ask where your led came from?

I have two Marineland fixtures. A single bright and a double bright. The double is better on live plants but still only considered medium light

Not sure if you were responding to my post or not. If you go to www.ecoexotic.com you can check out the lighting there or they sell stunner strips on amazon.com and at other pet store websites so they aren't hard to get. They have variety of colors and I use 3 on my tank. 8000k white led, 12k white/445nm blue, & 12k white/magenta. Each stunner for me costs $80. But I also needed 36inch stunners so it depends how long your tank is. I'm pretty sure they go up to 48 inches.

Not sure if you were responding to my post. If you go to www.ecoxotic.com you can find stunner strips there that come in a variety of colors. I have 3 36 inch stunners and each costs $80. They come in sizes up to 48inches. I use 8000k white, 12k white/445nm blue & 12k white/magenta. You can hang them from the ceiling or install them under a hood. You can also get them on amazon.com or other pet store websites.

I was looking at the stunner strips.... Do I take florescent bulbs out of hood and use the strips there? Was trying to figure out how they are used... Would be great if I can somehow use them with hood since I have an all oak set up.... Thanks

You should be able to just take your old bulbs out and anything holding them in then drill in the stunner strips. They make a hood for the strips but not sure if it would go well with your tank.

That's great.... Really appreciate the info...thanks again!!

You can get fancy with the strips and hook em up to a controller to replicate sunrise, sunset, moon cycles even cloud cover or thunderstorms.

You should be able to just take your old bulbs out and anything holding them in then drill in the stunner strips. They make a hood for the strips but not sure if it would go well with your tank.

I'm going to check them out as well. Hopefully can gelt them in Canada for that price. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom