LED lighting for 10 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

so my son has had his FOWLR since October.. everything is doing well. we keep up on the water changes checking parameters and such. He wants to add coral or an anemone to the tank. he has a pair or clowns in there that are quite active and basically come to the glass if you put you finger near it.. They are AWESOME to watch

Anyway, what LED lighting would you suggest? I want LED from both the energy savings and low heat.

Since he has been having such good luck with his tank it makes me want to convert my 50 Gal from Fresh to saltwater.. but that is another thread

Any help on the LED light would be fantastic

I would recommend starting with some soft corals first then a month or 2 after that some hardy lps. Nems really shouldn't be added to a tank less than a year old, and most will be to big for 10g. As for the LEDs par38s are probably the easiest, I have a reefbreeders value fixture over my 20 and love it. A lot of people are having success with eBay units, mr_x has a couple good links for them so hopefully he checks in or you can look for other led threads I'm sure you can find the link in one of them

I agree a par38 bulb would be a great light for the money and could grow most corals. I wouldn't put a nem in a ten gallon due to size and water quality. Those fluval lights aren't worth the money and I doubt they an really grow coral.

What type of fixture for the par38? also how far above the water surface does it need to be?

I do like the compact size of the Fluval (height mainly) is there something out there like the Fluval (due to some height restraints) that would work as well?

Yes that light was the one I was talking about, I think there is also a full spectrum model but either should be fine. Par38s screw into standard sockets

Cool That one would work out well.. Dimmable and I can run 2 timers which I am quite sure my son would be happy about. plus it should fit where we need it to fit

Just run it very low and high above the tank. That thing will burn coral in such a small tank otherwise

Right, low 'gain' on the dimmer, but high above the tank, I wish they made one that was 1/2 the power of that one

right, I have to wonder if the Fluval Sea LED would be a better fit. just from a power perspective (not cost)

how high above the tank would it need to be?

That fluval led isn't gonna grow anything more than shrooms. My gf got me one for Christmas to go on my standard ten I had started cycling. The mount doesn't work very well for rimmed tanks(glue made it 3 weeks and I came home to it fallen and resting on the other side of the tank) and the shroom rock I added to my sandbed were constantly reaching for the light, and they were directly under the light. The dimmable fixture will be perfect and allow you to keep any coral. You can always go par38 though if you think the other will be to much, but you would need 2 if you decide you want some more demanding sps in the future

I do like that one

They make another clip one one that is 20 3 watt leds for like $90. That would be for lps and sps. The one I posted could mainly do softies. They're nice leds for the price. I loved mine when I had it

They make another clip one one that is 20 3 watt leds for like $90. That would be for lps and sps. The one I posted could mainly do softies. They're nice leds for the price. I loved mine when I had it

your link took me to the $90 one which I like I also like the add-on timer option for it..

That would work well as would the 6 LED one ..

I think I would do the $90 one though

your link took me to the $90 one which I like I also like the add-on timer option for it..

That would work well as would the 6 LED one ..

I think I would do the $90 one though

Yeah I agree the $90 one would be much better for a wider range of photosynthetic animal life.

Back
Top Bottom