Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoles_b View Post
My tank is 25" deep (not counting sand) and 4 ft long. So two of these ridiculously cheap LED's will light my whole tank? This seems too good to be true!

That does seem a little to good to be true but if they are really using bridgelux LEDs it might be ok. I prefer full spectrum lights, but I have seen plenty of real nice reefs with only blue & whites

Old 01-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get a 48 inch full spectrum from BML for $273:
14000K Reef Spectrum - Build My LED, LLC

For "viewing" light (ie, FOWLR), just one is needed. For higher light corals, 2 would be needed.

These things put out a ridiculous amount of light, and look great.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My tank is 25" deep (not counting sand) and 4 ft long. So two of these ridiculously cheap LED's will light my whole tank? This seems too good to be true!
Yes they work perfectly. "Full spectrum" multiple color led panels are for aesthetic purpose only.. The blue/white is all you need. Full light spectrum actually comes from the white LEDs and not the added colors.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a note. While the eBay lights are inexpensive if you want a US based company you can call if you have an issue you can spend the extra money and get a reef breeder unit.

But with how cheap these lights are getting it's sometimes just easier to replace with new. They've gone down $20 in the past 6 months as it is.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

R420R 160w, but it's really expensive.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow, thanks a lot everyone! I will have to check all of those out when I get off work.

I'm thinking I'll go with full spectrum. Beautiful to look at and enjoy is a big reason for getting into corals in the first place, right?

I've heard a lot about Apex, I'm guessing those are timers? I do plan on having everything set up to automatically turn on/off. Probably should have mentioned that beforehand. Ahhh, I'm so excited!
Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Wow, thanks a lot everyone! I will have to check all of those out when I get off work. I'm thinking I'll go with full spectrum. Beautiful to look at and enjoy is a big reason for getting into corals in the first place, right? I've heard a lot about Apex, I'm guessing those are timers? I do plan on having everything set up to automatically turn on/off. Probably should have mentioned that beforehand. Ahhh, I'm so excited!
The "full spectrum" led units will not make any difference on coral colors over the blue/white panels. It's just the overall tank look that changes. Generally warmer with the "full spectrum". There is a side by side comparison picture in a thread called something like "lighting best bang for your buck" it's about 3/4 way through that thread.

And apex is a controller. It can control some lighting fixtures as well as a lot of other things. Expect to pay a lot more for fixtures you can plug into a controller.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally, I like the 16000k average color, it give purp/blue style colors. But coral grow a bit slower.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, the BML fixtures are multi color..primarily blue/white, but has a couple reds and greens. They have their layout online.

Depending on the LED manufacturer, you can DIY a cable for the Apex. I paid less than $175 for my BML fixture (Black Friday sale), and can make a cable for about $8. I am ok with paying a little more for the light, knowing that any problems can be addressed by a company in the states, vs a reseller for an overseas manufacturer.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

LED Lighting for 90g

I use Chinese panels, LED Group buy and RapidLED.

Chinese panels:

Inexpensive, Bridgelux LEDs
Lots of light, grows all corals.
Dimmer versions are best
Hard to control with a controller
Drivers are their weak point, but easy to exchange the driver to repair.

All in all a very good way to go.

Group Buy LED:

Inexpensive, Cree LEDs
Grows corals great
Dimmer versions that are controllable are pretty standard
Can be customized for your tank, length, brightness, LED mix, lenses, etc.
Build the spectrum to suit you.
You have to be able to solder and do basic assembly.

I will be changing my Chinese panels out for custom fixtures I will build using these guys.

RapidLED:

Onyx fixtures are very nice, Cree LEDs
Grows corals fine
Full spectrum
Attractive fixture
Dimmable and controllable
A bit more expensive, maybe 20%

These various LEDs are what I have serviced and used for the past years since abandoning MH.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com