LED Lighting for 90g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoles_b

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been saving up money to buy myself new lights. Looking at LED units, currently have MH & t5's and I hate them.

I really, really would love to have some coral! My problem is I know very little about what light (spectrums, colors, & such.. It all confuses me) they need to support them.

Wanna make sure I get everything right before-hand.

I've been looking on eBay but there's just so many & I don't want to buy the wrong thing. I plan on starting with "easy/beginner stuff" but would love to be able to sustain harder to maintain corals down the road.

Also confused on how many units I'd need... Tank dimensions: 25" H, 48" L, 18" W.

Thanks so much in advance for any input.

I've set aside $450, but I have some money coming back from taxes if I need more.

I've seen LED units from $150 & up, so I tried to overcompensate.

What's the difference between 60, 90, & 120 optics, for only a few pennies?

The coverage, 60's cover less area with more intensity 120's cover more area but it's less intense

You don't need optics unless the unit is pretty far above your tank or the tank is deeper than 24". 120 is good enough for most applications.

I have 2 of these http://bit.ly/1eB5SUB over my 90. They will grow any coral you want.

Each unit covers a 24"x24" area.

You don't need optics unless the unit is pretty far above your tank or the tank is deeper than 24". 120 is good enough for most applications. I have 2 of these http://bit.ly/1eB5SUB over my 90. They will grow any coral you want. Each unit covers a 24"x24" area.

My tank is 25" deep (not counting sand) and 4 ft long. So two of these ridiculously cheap LED's will light my whole tank? This seems too good to be true!

Also what's the significance of colors offered?

This one is blue/white but I've seen some that are blue/white/purple/etc. What difference does it make?

BuildMyLED.com has great, low profile LEDs that you can use. They are dimmable and compatible with Apex units, too. I use them on my tank and love them. You could easily get them within your budget.

My tank is 25" deep (not counting sand) and 4 ft long. So two of these ridiculously cheap LED's will light my whole tank? This seems too good to be true!

That does seem a little to good to be true but if they are really using bridgelux LEDs it might be ok. I prefer full spectrum lights, but I have seen plenty of real nice reefs with only blue & whites

Yes they work perfectly. "Full spectrum" multiple color led panels are for aesthetic purpose only.. The blue/white is all you need. Full light spectrum actually comes from the white LEDs and not the added colors.

Just a note. While the eBay lights are inexpensive if you want a US based company you can call if you have an issue you can spend the extra money and get a reef breeder unit.

But with how cheap these lights are getting it's sometimes just easier to replace with new. They've gone down $20 in the past 6 months as it is.

Wow, thanks a lot everyone! I will have to check all of those out when I get off work.

I'm thinking I'll go with full spectrum. Beautiful to look at and enjoy is a big reason for getting into corals in the first place, right? ;)

I've heard a lot about Apex, I'm guessing those are timers? I do plan on having everything set up to automatically turn on/off. Probably should have mentioned that beforehand. Ahhh, I'm so excited!

Wow, thanks a lot everyone! I will have to check all of those out when I get off work. I'm thinking I'll go with full spectrum. Beautiful to look at and enjoy is a big reason for getting into corals in the first place, right? ;) I've heard a lot about Apex, I'm guessing those are timers? I do plan on having everything set up to automatically turn on/off. Probably should have mentioned that beforehand. Ahhh, I'm so excited!
The "full spectrum" led units will not make any difference on coral colors over the blue/white panels. It's just the overall tank look that changes. Generally warmer with the "full spectrum". There is a side by side comparison picture in a thread called something like "lighting best bang for your buck" it's about 3/4 way through that thread.

And apex is a controller. It can control some lighting fixtures as well as a lot of other things. Expect to pay a lot more for fixtures you can plug into a controller.

Sorry, the BML fixtures are multi color..primarily blue/white, but has a couple reds and greens. They have their layout online.

Depending on the LED manufacturer, you can DIY a cable for the Apex. I paid less than $175 for my BML fixture (Black Friday sale), and can make a cable for about $8. I am ok with paying a little more for the light, knowing that any problems can be addressed by a company in the states, vs a reseller for an overseas manufacturer.

I use Chinese panels, LED Group buy and RapidLED.

Chinese panels:

Inexpensive, Bridgelux LEDs
Lots of light, grows all corals.
Dimmer versions are best
Hard to control with a controller
Drivers are their weak point, but easy to exchange the driver to repair.

All in all a very good way to go.

Group Buy LED:

Inexpensive, Cree LEDs
Grows corals great
Dimmer versions that are controllable are pretty standard
Can be customized for your tank, length, brightness, LED mix, lenses, etc.
Build the spectrum to suit you.
You have to be able to solder and do basic assembly.

I will be changing my Chinese panels out for custom fixtures I will build using these guys.

RapidLED:

Onyx fixtures are very nice, Cree LEDs
Grows corals fine
Full spectrum
Attractive fixture
Dimmable and controllable
A bit more expensive, maybe 20%

These various LEDs are what I have serviced and used for the past years since abandoning MH.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom