Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

LED Lighting for planted tank

I'm looking to upgrade the single T8 to a LED fixture on my standard 29g. I am looking at the Current USA Freshwater LED+, and the Finnex FugeRay Planted+. I'm a bit concerned about the Current USA because it's a 23" fixture, while the Finnex is an actual 30" fixture. I don't want the sides to appear dark. I do like how the Current USA has the ability to ramp up/down as I have several fish who freak out when I turn the light on/off. I also found a DIY thread on how to use an Arduino to automatically control the Current USA fixture which would be pretty neat too. It would basically be a timer on steroids, controlling ramp up/ramp down, moonlights, and randomizing the weather features.

I do have a couple low light plants, anubias and java fern, but would like to add medium light plants in the future.

I am leaning towards the Current USA. The only concern I have is having a 23" fixture on a 30" tank. I thought about getting the next size up (35" fixture) and using a custom mounting solution.

Any thoughts? Other recommendations?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just ordered the finnex, should have it tom afternoon.. I'll post some pics, the current sat is really nice too, check out Brian nano's threads, he has 2...

Old 04-02-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I ended up going with the Finnex Planted+, just wanted a 30" fixture. If I had a 36" tank I probably would've gone with the Current USA.

Will post my thoughts when I get it.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

The Finnex Planted+ appears to be a popular choice these days. I've owned one of its predecessors (FugeRay) for almost a year now and I like it but I see the "+" as an improvement. And still pretty cost friendly (compared the BML).
Old 04-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got my fixture today, and the lighting is a HUGE improvement over the standard single t8 most kits come with. It's a very natural light, no blue/red tint what so ever. Time will tell how the plants react.

I bought the fixture from Amazon, and it seems I got a unit that had been returned. The box's original tape had been cut, and I could tell the wiring wasn't bound neat like it would come from the factory. The fixture itself is fine, however I only received one mounting bracket. I emailed Amazon today, hopefully they'll just send out a bracket because sending the whole unit back would be a hassle. If they ask for a return I may just contact Finnex and buy a bracket from them.

I rigged up a wire hanger to make a temporary leg, I couldn't bear to box the unit back up after seeing my tank under a quality light. It's stunning.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, keep that reciept! But yes the light us really nice, I'm running it with a t5no w the colormax/rosette bulb in, tank looks great. After a few days my rotala is starting to pink up a bit at the ends!

Tags
led, led lighting, light, lighting, plant, planted, planted tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com