LED Lighting for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anibis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking to upgrade the single T8 to a LED fixture on my standard 29g. I am looking at the Current USA Freshwater LED+, and the Finnex FugeRay Planted+. I'm a bit concerned about the Current USA because it's a 23" fixture, while the Finnex is an actual 30" fixture. I don't want the sides to appear dark. I do like how the Current USA has the ability to ramp up/down as I have several fish who freak out when I turn the light on/off. I also found a DIY thread on how to use an Arduino to automatically control the Current USA fixture which would be pretty neat too. It would basically be a timer on steroids, controlling ramp up/ramp down, moonlights, and randomizing the weather features.

I do have a couple low light plants, anubias and java fern, but would like to add medium light plants in the future.

I am leaning towards the Current USA. The only concern I have is having a 23" fixture on a 30" tank. I thought about getting the next size up (35" fixture) and using a custom mounting solution.

Any thoughts? Other recommendations?

I just ordered the finnex, should have it tom afternoon.. I'll post some pics, the current sat is really nice too, check out Brian nano's threads, he has 2...

I ended up going with the Finnex Planted+, just wanted a 30" fixture. If I had a 36" tank I probably would've gone with the Current USA.

Will post my thoughts when I get it.

The Finnex Planted+ appears to be a popular choice these days. I've owned one of its predecessors (FugeRay) for almost a year now and I like it but I see the "+" as an improvement. And still pretty cost friendly (compared the BML).

I got my fixture today, and the lighting is a HUGE improvement over the standard single t8 most kits come with. It's a very natural light, no blue/red tint what so ever. Time will tell how the plants react.

I bought the fixture from Amazon, and it seems I got a unit that had been returned. The box's original tape had been cut, and I could tell the wiring wasn't bound neat like it would come from the factory. The fixture itself is fine, however I only received one mounting bracket. I emailed Amazon today, hopefully they'll just send out a bracket because sending the whole unit back would be a hassle. If they ask for a return I may just contact Finnex and buy a bracket from them.

I rigged up a wire hanger to make a temporary leg, I couldn't bear to box the unit back up after seeing my tank under a quality light. It's stunning.

Hmm, keep that reciept! But yes the light us really nice, I'm running it with a t5no w the colormax/rosette bulb in, tank looks great. After a few days my rotala is starting to pink up a bit at the ends!

Back
Top Bottom