LED lighting=MH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgc0286

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, I was just looking at this thread new led lights - Reef Central Online Community

If it is true that one of these can replace a 250w MH that would be awesome, but Im sure it is to good to be true. Not changing bulbs annually, and lower electric bills would be worth it. What do you all think of these?

Holy crap! Well it will pay for itself in what 10 years..if it lasts that long. I cant wait until this technology evolves and becomes more affordable. It would be great to only change bulbs every 10 years. I would consider buying 3 of the units in the thread I linked to if you were able to get them serviced, when something went wrong with them.

I was going to say that it is expensive. Give it some time and they will go down.

Watch for my thread on those LED's. My units (1-120w Master and two 120w slaves) should be arriving from Poland tomorrow or Friday. When you combine the light output with the control software it's less than buying a top line 250w MH fixture with similar features. In fact I was offered a 1 year old used MH for $2800 which is aprox a $1,000 off new. I got these LEDs units for less than that and they can output PAR of a 400w MH down to 12".

Right now I'm designing the canopy or shelf or hood to hold them. Deciding between stainless or plexi too. Ah decisions, decisions.
Initially I'm going to just raise them about 4" off the surface and remove my 150w fixture.

The savings in electricity should take into account not needing a chiller and annual bulb replacement too. On a 72" tank with 3 MH and 4 PC lamps that's a couple of hundred a year just for bulbs.

Iam looking forward to that thread. Would you mind posting the link to where you ordered them from?

Watch for my thread on those LED's. My units (1-120w Master and two 120w slaves) should be arriving from Poland tomorrow or Friday.

How are you pulling that off - I'm not expecting mine for another week - or did you order yours individually from the Euro site?

Right now I'm designing the canopy or shelf or hood to hold them. Deciding between stainless or plexi too. Ah decisions, decisions.
Initially I'm going to just raise them about 4" off the surface and remove my 150w fixture.

Let me know what you come up with. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to work mine into my canopy.

As for the person that asked for the site it's Pacific Sun USA

Wow! cant wait to see the results you guys get from them. Wish I had 3grand to spend on a light.

based on the look of the unit you posted in your first post it looks to be the original pacific sun fixture without the controls. from what I understand is the original design was manufactured in china and then shipped to poland where they outfitted the unit with their controls. Unfortunatly info leaked and now these units are sold on ebay for around $289 for a 120W unit. However, you cannot replace the led's on this unit if they go out because of how they are manufactured. The new Pacific Sun black panther is now manufactured in poland with better led's and better controls. you can now replace the LED's on the new fixture if they go out, even though they are covered with a warranty for 3 years. this is just what I have come to understand, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I am actually in the process of building my own fixture, and will try and get a write up done and posted.

I got mine on a group buy from another forum. The shipment is due in on Thursday or Friday. I was hoping to have them for this weekend but with another 12"+ of snow expected over the next 36 hours that now looks doubtfull.

There are several new units. The BT EX is similar to the original unit with total control via software (blue tooth), and there are two new models the Phobos and Deimos LED + T5 hybrid light fixtures.

From PacSun:
The BT-EX models will have upgraded components like a built in computer that you can use to control the LED light and if you like you can also control the interface via bluetooth. In addition to the upgraded computer control the BT-EX model includes an upgrade power supply unit that is waterproof and external which allows you to hide the power supply where you see fit. The BT-EX also gets upgraded fans that will automatically turn on when the system is generating to much heat for the fixture to handle. There are 4 different LED types being used: “420nm, 450nm, white 14.000K and additional, real UVA(non purple!) LED chips for stronger corals pigmentation.”
These are said to produce 551 PAR at only 12″ depth.
New series features:
Each lamp series BT-EX has a special built-in dedicated computer(Ligth Area Computer) can support advanced light.Lamp is programmed wirelessly using a special application(via BlueTooth interface). This model have external, waterproof power supply with safe, 24V DC output.

In our newest model we used 2pcs 120mm fans(17db) with double bearings. Their speed is auto controlled by build in temperature sensor – so in some situations they can be turned off – a specially when lamp dont need active cooling(night mode with moonlight, sunrise/sunset period etc).
This model have build on 4 kind of LED chips – 420nm, 450nm, white 14.000K and additional, real UVA(non purple!) LED chips for stronger corals pigmentation.
With our computer you can set:
- date/time
- setting turn on/off time, dimming time
- total brightness setting – for ex. for coral acclimation
- setting brightness for moonlight
- colour temperature changing – between 14.000K-25.000K
- Set the time sunrise and sunset times from 1minute up to…
- simulating the lunar illumination (28 days full period), Natural Sunlight Simulation, Overcast Days Simulation
- changing brightness during the ligth period – like on nature, where insolation depend of hour. For the whole cycle of lighting, you can define up to 40 individual points of which is set by the brightness of the lamp, This gives the opportunity to simulate the lighting just like in nature

I got mine on a group buy from another forum. The shipment is due in on Thursday or Friday. I was hoping to have them for this weekend but with another 12"+ of snow expected over the next 36 hours that now looks doubtfull.

Wouldn't happen to be Manhatten Reef would it? ;)

I thought the shipment wasn't expected until Monday of next week.

Yep the MR group buy. They were due in today or tomorrow (25/26) though the airports will probably be closed tomorrow. Oh, just re-read. Due to the scheduled 4 day Lufthansa pilots strike they chose to wait till till Monday to ship, so next it is.
We had a person from our Frankurt office here this week who ran into the strike issue. They settled the strike this past Monday (1 day in stead of 4).

Just anxious to get these in.

Just anxious to get these in.

You're not the only one... I still gotta drop another $869 for a slave unit... luckily they're going to hold one for me (out of this shipment) after I leave a deposit, so I won't have to wait another 2 months ...

Back
Top Bottom