Led lighting same as T5?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hakan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,
lets say i had a 100w strip of led lights.
Would this be equivalent to a 100w t5 light?
In the sense of fulfilling my corals light requirments.

Cheers

It really depends on the LEDs. If you get the right diodes, LEDs are much more powerful per watt than T5HO. I've got 30W of LED over my 20H planted tank and I can grow pretty much whatever I want. My glosso has grown from a few trimmings to a thick carpet in two months. I don't think I'd be able to get the carpet effect under 30W of T5HO lights.

BigJim said:
It really depends on the LEDs. If you get the right diodes, LEDs are much more powerful per watt than T5HO. I've got 30W of LED over my 20H planted tank and I can grow pretty much whatever I want. My glosso has grown from a few trimmings to a thick carpet in two months. I don't think I'd be able to get the carpet effect under 30W of T5HO lights.

Is there a feasible LED setup for growing baby tears in a 72 bow front?

I'm planning on around 20 watts over a 40 breeder, and I expect it to be very high light. They may put off the same number of lumens, but the par for leds versus t5ho is no comparison.

The Marineland Reef Bright fixture might be able to grow a baby tears carpet in your tank. It's a lot cheaper to build your own though.

I'm curious to see how 20W of LEDs works over a 40B. I'm guessing it'll be more towards the medium light range.

The Marineland Reef Bright fixture might be able to grow a baby tears carpet in your tank. It's a lot cheaper to build your own though.

I'm curious to see how 20W of LEDs works over a 40B. I'm guessing it'll be more towards the medium light range.

You're right, I was still thinking that 20W for a 10 gallon. From what I've read, each "led watt" is somewhat equivalent to 4-6 "normal watts" This should put me in the medium-medium/high range I think.

Oh my bad. It's been awhile since I did the initial calculations for light, and I just realized my error. I'll be running 24 leds at .8 amps and 3.5-3.7ish volts. This will be ~70 watts of led light.. which is definitely high light :p. I forgot to multiply by volts... lol

Back
Top Bottom