LED lighting units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torstar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently run 2 MARINELAND® LED Bright Lighting System 18-24inch units at Petsmart MARINELAND® LED Bright Lighting System | Lights | PetSmart
I purchased two of these for my 20 gallon tank The aquarium has a glass lid and I removed the legs from the led lights so they rest directly in the glass. I purchased these lights with the intention of not having a planted tank. fast forward 2 years, now I want a planted tank, does anyone know what kind of plants I can grow with these two lights ?

TL;DR:
blah blah Babbling on blah blah writing a book blah blah I have 2 MARINELAND® LED Bright Lighting System 18-24inch units , what kind of plants can I grow in them? blah blah yes it really is 2:49am! :ROFLMAO:

Short story: I'm guessing low to low-medium light plants.

Long story: I'm basing that on a tank height of 16" and the PAR chart for LEDs on this link: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368 (Need to scroll down quite a bit to see it).
Regarding PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation), low, medium, and high light ranges generally are 10-30, 30-80, and 80+, respectively.
A single 24" ML double bright will have about ~25 PAR at 16" according to the chart. If there are two fixtures I'm not sure that you could simply assume the PAR value is 50. PAR values are stated for directly below the light source and they decrease the further away you get from directly under the light. There will be some overlap of light from the two fixtures as well.
So anywhere from 30-50 PAR can be expected which puts it at the low end of medium light.
As for plants, this includes, but not limited to, swords, crypts, mosses, Vals, sag, less demanding stem plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom