LED lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok , i just bought a set of the dimmable version of the tao from ebay for my 65G reef tank which is 24 in deep. This will be my first set of these led lights.. My question is, approximately how high up from the top of the tank should i mount these lights? 6 inches, 8 inches 1 foot? I will be making some sort of hanging bracket for these lights and just need to know how much stock im going to need once ive figured out how im going to build the lighting brackets..

Heres a photo of the lights from ebay

Thanks guys

I would shoot for 8 inches or more. This is because of damage from salt spray and splashing, and so you can get your hands in the tank.

That may work, but for 80 bucks, I would find something DIY that would do the job cheaper. Some use plant hangars, some attach them to a stand that sits on the tank. I have mine hanging from the ceiling on chains, because you don't see them from the front of the tank, but if I wanted to do something aesthetically pleasing, I would go to home depot, purchase some galvanized conduit, bend it right there with their tools in the shape of a "L", take it home and paint it any color you want, and attach it to either the back of the stand, or the wall behind.
You can do basically the same thing as you have in that current link, for about 10-15 bucks and it will be much stronger.
Even PVC like RickyBobby did.

The pvc pipe in the photo was the picture the ebay seller sent me of the lights i purchased from him.. Here is a couple photos of the hanger setup i put together this weekend.. I used 3/4 Electrical conduit from lowes. I didn't even have to bend any pipe at all because they sell the pre-bent 90's right there !! Peice of cake to put together. The hardest thing to do was putting in the screws for the brackets that hold the conduit to the stand. My tank is very close to the wall as you can see from the photo's. Ill be painting it flat black this week sometime.
Cost me about $30 to put this together..

Back
Top Bottom