Led lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joby wan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone tied out Orbit Marine LED systems? Curious why they seem like a great system but much cheaper than most

I don't think their leds are powerful enough to penetrate water well enough. The leds are 0.25 watts each where you really want 3 watt leds. I think you could keep softies with them but that's about it

Then what does a 8000k / 14000K really mean?

Lights can be that, they just wont penetrate deep. 14k is the range that plants and coral need. Check out proledsupply.com I bought mine through him. He does a good job and you can call him and ask questions. He uses 3watt Bridgelux LED's

I'm using these on a 25 with LPS and softies. They are all doing great. If you have SPS, they recommend 2.

I agree. I do have LED's, but I'm no professional. They seem good. They are like the Eco Techs. If the are 1 watt, you need more. I only have 22 LED's, but mine are three watt giving me 66 watts. Current USA makes great products and I would say what ever they say the lights can support as far as cretin coral's, I'd say your good. Just do your research and look at rating from people who have already bought the product. Make sure you check out proledsupply.com too. For the price of those currents, you might find something there you like.

Most people would recommend fixtures with 3-watt LEDs on them. I would say it depends on the size of your tank. If you follow one of the topics here, you will find that they set them only at a quarter or not even half of the full capacity of their lighting fixtures. That means only about 1 watt or less of each LED is being utilized. The height of your water in your tank dictates the intensity of light or PAR you need. In my case, I have a shallow reef tank with only about 15 inch water. I use a reef capable 1-watt LED and I have to raise it 8 inches above the water surface since above water the loses is less than in salt water. As long as corals are directly underneath, it will work. I have SPS and they grow.

Back
Top Bottom