Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm seeing some posts saying some LEDs aren't as good for deeper tanks as others. On a 21" tall 29 gallon bowfront, I might plant a few real plants in the tank eventually or have a few floaters. But for now just all fakes. Would you suggest the finnex ray 2 over the fugeray for this situation? Or would the marineland double bright LEDs do good enough?

Old 07-18-2014, 02:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStark View Post
I'm seeing some posts saying some LEDs aren't as good for deeper tanks as others. On a 21" tall 29 gallon bowfront, I might plant a few real plants in the tank eventually or have a few floaters. But for now just all fakes. Would you suggest the finnex ray 2 over the fugeray for this situation? Or would the marineland double bright LEDs do good enough?
This is true.

Each part of the visible light spectrum penetrates water depths differently. Red spectrum gets absorbed very quickly in terms of depth once it gets past the water surface. For the same light concentration, at the other extreme, deep blue spectrum is much more energetic and can penetrate to depths far beyond red. All the remaining visible colour spectrum in between varys in effective depth penetration between the two extremes.

So, LED fixtures for plant and coral growths have two main favours, (there is a whole range but it basically comes down to two main areas)

You can talk in terms of colour temps.

Like 3000 - 4000 degree K fittings have a large red/yellow spectrum component. So their light appears yellowish to the eyes. These aren't so good for tank plants so not even a consideration for trying to light up a planted or coral tank. Ok if you don't mind the yellowish tinge and have a tank filled with fake plants or no plants.

Most commercial LED fixtures are made for shallow(ish) tanks, these tend to have a large 6500+ degree K component and in combination with some blue LEDs are great for the majority of tanks out to 12 - 16" depth.

Deep tank LED fixtures are designed around 10,000 K - 14,000K with greater number of blue and ultra blue LEDS. The greater concentration in the blue spectrum penetrates water depth much better and can photosynthesise plants and corals at the bottom. These give the tank a blueish tinge which (I think) looks pretty cool but the eye perceives it as 'less bright' even though the plants love it.

All this is given equal light concentrations between the examples. You can certainly pump more 6500'K light into a 21" tank if you oversupply the light intensity to effectively get to the bottom. Brute force method to overcome the water depth loss.

Use google for some great information on light spectrum and depth penetration and effective light spectrum spreads for under water plant photosynthesis. Theres a whole science behind it all.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For your tank, I would consider taking a look at BeamsWork LEDs. I got a BeamsWork fixture for my 33 gallon hex tank (almost 2' deep) and it likes the tank up really well. The fixture was cheap, it's super slim, doesn't get hot like T5, and it's got a moonlight setting. This tank has all fake plants.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I decided I'm probably ordering the Current Freshwater LED+
For the price It really has alot of features and It seems alot of people like them.
As long as the remote doesn't break.

Tags
eat, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com