Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Geared towards salt water or not, you'll get plenty of light out of them and you'll be able to grow plants with it for sure. I was under the impression you needed a powerful punch with folks suggesting metal halides and the concern with buying LEDs that may not do the job. These single strand finnex fixtures are plenty of light? If so, Brookster is right, you don't need this kind of power.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Geared towards salt water or not, you'll get plenty of light out of them and you'll be able to grow plants with it for sure. I was under the impression you needed a powerful punch with folks suggesting metal halides and the concern with buying LEDs that may not do the job. These single strand finnex fixtures are plenty of light? If so, Brookster is right, you don't need this kind of power.
Like I said before.. i am a total fam of leds, the only reason I suggested standard t5ho was cost and availability.. i do not doubt those panels would grow plants. I actually fear without co2 they'd grow more algae than anything haha..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 11-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

But algae are plants, correct? Plus, these can be dimmed according to your needs. I used one over a refugium and the macroalgae in the tank is doing very well. I would assume it's no different for whatever plants you were considering. School me here, because I'm not familiar with planted tanks, but I am familiar with salt water plants.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
But algae are plants, correct? Plus, these can be dimmed according to your needs. I used one over a refugium and the macroalgae in the tank is doing very well. I would assume it's no different for whatever plants you were considering. School me here, because I'm not familiar with planted tanks, but I am familiar with salt water plants.
Absolutely a plant! Not all that desire able by most however in your case you're going for the macro algae? That's good for the nitrate scrubbing and such? So power/par is one thing.. spectrum and color temp is another thing. Planted tanks are after the 500 - 10k range employing rgb's or red greens and blues. Not so much the actnic blue you guys use. I do have lights with that type blue but it's mainly for moonlight functions. I think the evolution if planted leds stemmed from coral growers such as yourself. They have come along way haven't they! That panel you recommended would probably grow any plant you'd want.. just wouldn't throw the best color on them.
Ps. I'm still learning all this stuff as I go, just because I buy it does not make me an expert...
Old 11-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #25
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'm getting out of my depth here ( ), but if you do look at LEDs I suggest putting the led lights you are looking at into the DIY BML website. For me I found that you needed a lot of reds as it doesn't penetrate well at depth, whereas the blues will keep going quite strongly. I can sort of see that in the tank where I can notice the reds near surface whereas at depth it evens out (although having box LEDs and not strip LEDs doesn't help).
Old 11-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I figured the blues weren't used for anything more than aesthetics in a planted tank, but I think the daylights and reds should be plenty.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I figured the blues weren't used for anything more than aesthetics in a planted tank, but I think the daylights and reds should be plenty.
Someone in the planted tank forum is attempting a planted tank with a t5ho half 10k half acnic... we'll see how they do??

Old 11-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

Jeze! This is a training course for me! Thanks guys, I've been sneaking this whole conversation whilst pretending to work...! I'll have to get onto all this later on. But by the way, it's actually a 90 USG. It's more like 44" x 20" x 24" to be more precise...
In any case it's more the depth than anything here right...? And that's still 2' deep. I'll take a look through your suggestions, but again, I'm in the UK, so hope it all applies this side of the pond...!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #29
come get me tang police!

A lot of people have been using led floodlights. I have several on my racks. The 30w ones do fine for low and medium growing. Id probably run 3 to 4 on a 4ft tank. It's not all peaches but an idea to google up a bit. They range around $25 apiece, require some very basic wiring, and seem to do best if you grease the heat sinks.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #30
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

LED or T5...?

Quote:

I think so. I've turned most of my blues off on the ex-reef lights and just using daylights and reds on planted DT. I then have a hydroponics led that is largely red light as well.

It's a nasty shock getting used to the red light though. As well as the box LEDs I have a strip led at the tank front just to even out the light/shadows from the box LEDs.

I've only briefly looked at this but the strip led lights I could get in Australia say their blue lights are suitable for planted FW or SW. For the planted I would then buy a second strip led light full of reds. I always wondered if this was correct that planted FW and SW use the same spectrum in the blue light side??

---------

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cwbt2D65i9...hlorophyll.jpg

As shown above, plants need the majority of the light to be around 400-450nm and 650-675nm (or blue and red light). The blue light is used for leaf growth, and promotes bushy, compact growth, while red light is mainly used for flowering and strong stems. They reflect most green light, thus explaining why leaves are green.

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/12/...arium.html?m=1

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com