LED question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce410

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, I'm going to be making a moonlight for my 29g tank.

I'm going to go with blue 5050 LEDs but I'm also finding that there are RGB BLUE 5050s and there's SMD Blue 5050s.
What's the difference between the two and which should I go with for an aquarium?

Thanks!

SMD components are surface mount and are intended for circuit boards. You need a reflow oven to solder most SMD components.

BigJim said:
SMD components are surface mount and are intended for circuit boards. You need a reflow oven to solder most SMD components.

Good to know.
So if I have the choice I should just go with the RGB? Idk what this stuff is. Found some led strips on eBay and one says SMD and the other says RGB. they both are on strips that can be mounted with double sided tape but just need the plug.

If they're already assembled, either type would work. If you post links, I can tell you more.

I think those are pretty much the same strip. Maybe the connectors are slightly different, but either should work for your tank.

Alright, I'm going to be making a moonlight for my 29g tank.

I'm going to go with blue 5050 LEDs but I'm also finding that there are RGB BLUE 5050s and there's SMD Blue 5050s.
What's the difference between the two and which should I go with for an aquarium?

Thanks!

You can try the SMD strips , it's usually called Flexible LED strips
RGB = multiple colors. If you want it to be color changing then u need RGB strips and there should come with a remote controller., otherwise single color strip is fine but then your tank will always only stay in one single color. so it depends on you.
and then you can also decide if it needs to be waterproof.

I have posted the link above , they have a learning center about the strips and installation and things like that. sorry if i'm not good at explaining :confused:

brunosmith said:
You can try the SMD strips , it's usually called Flexible LED strips
RGB = multiple colors. If you want it to be color changing then u need RGB strips and there should come with a remote controller., otherwise single color strip is fine but then your tank will always only stay in one single color. so it depends on you.
and then you can also decide if it needs to be waterproof.

I have posted the link above , they have a learning center about the strips and installation and things like that. sorry if i'm not good at explaining :confused:

Awesome. Thanks, actually big help!

Back
Top Bottom