Led recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbratz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay I'm breaking down my 120 and moving to a smaller (55) tank. Right now I'm running metal halides and I want to switch over to LEDs.

It'll still be a reef tank. Is the rule of 1 watt per gallon correct? Does anyone have any suggestions for an led light that won't break the bank? I don't want a manual dimmer, it needs to be automatic.

Thanks in Advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The watt rule doesn't mean much. Usually I'd recommend the taotronics, but they don't have the built in programming. For that you usually need to look towards AI products or maybe radions.

Back when I ran MH it was more like 3-4 watts per gallon for stony corals. On my deep 300 reef I replaced 1200 watts of MH with 600 watts of LED with lenses. I figure LED can be 2-3 times as powerful as the same wattage of MH. Your mileage may vary.

So, would a 60 watt LED setup keep my softies alive?
Hammer
Torch
Pulsing Xenia
Mushrooms
Kenya trees
2 types of star polyp
Pipe organ
Galaxia

The softies, yes. But the LPS corals may need more. For the length of a 55 I might suggest a pair of 50-60 watt.

Last edited:
One single light might not provide wide enough coverage but I don't know your tank dimensions, for example if your 55 is a cube, one light in the middle would work fine.

As to wattage, I like more than too little as most fixtures now have dimming ability. It's easy to reduce output but impossible to get more if the fixture is undersized.
The corals you listed are low to moderate light, so you should be set at 100-120 watts.

Last edited:
I just got one of the new reef breeders V2 lights. They are kinda pricey compared to the eBay black boxes, but cheaper than the radios and AI sols. They also make up to a 48" fixture to eliminate needing 2 fixtures. I ended up getting the 24" for my 40 breeder and I'm pretty happy with it. It's fully programmable. The first version are cheaper and still very effective with programming as well. The v2s are slot more streamlined and look slot better IMO. SB also makes some really nice lights about the same price too.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/

https://sbreeflights.com/

I have the 24 " one on my 40 gallon Nuvo and it works great.I have LPS ,a clam, brain and some sps without any problems.Unless you want to add high light required corals later it will do fine.Go to the Current marine site and you can hit on their spec sheet to see the par values and coverage you will get.You would need the orbit marine pro to support the real high light required corals.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462045031.450018.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462045081.446185.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Looks like they do pretty good on Rickreefs tank, very nice. I don't know anything about the currents besides they make good shimmer strips.

I would be a bit cautious. Their numbers seem strange, for example their smallest fixture is rated at only 18 watts and says it has 72 LEDs. This looks to me like some very low output led emitters. Probably OK for soft corals, but I would prefer using 2-3watt LEDs. I just want dimming and don't like the fancy effects that just scare the fish, I would rather buy light output. That's just me.
I would still use 2 fixtures rated at 60 watts each or better if its a classic 55 footprint. JMO

Last edited:
I used to run the eBay black box (last 4 years)-Blues maxed out and whites at 65% w/ great success over my 56 column.
Recently purchased these new lights- "Coral Moon Box" from Dallas reef systems for $179.00. They (2 fixtures) have been over my tank for 2 weeks now and noticed an increase in growth and polyp extension on my Acros. No controller needed as they run off iOS or android appImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462131876.156926.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462131898.009991.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462131917.829744.jpg

Back
Top Bottom